Mountain Bike Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A local bike shop that doesn't sell services, like doing a bike fit, does not deserve your commerce. If you can't find a local shop that will take the time to do a bike fit, I would suggest you either go to "The Cities" and find one that will or buy on line.

There are bicycle shops with fit calculators on line. These guys have a very good one: Bicycle Fit Calculator

Fit is critical in a bike. I have ridden some very good bikes that didn't fit and it was not a pleasant experience. There is no single fitting system that will work for everyone, but the fit calculator I linked has 3 different styles for mountain bikes and one should work. My guess would be that you should use a cross country fit. At the very least it will get you close.

Beyond that, it does seem that full suspension bikes are mostly aimed at the down hill riders, and that as a shorter rider the 29er wheels may not be a good fit for you. You might try to find a shop that will rent you a couple of bikes. Maybe one with 27.5 tires. I have a bunch of bikes in my garage. I really like my 27.5+ bike for trail riding, and I am 6'3".

One more thing to throw in the mix is this: do you plan on riding those trails in the snow? Riding in the snow can be a real hoot. I live in Fargo, and ride year round. My mountain bike becomes my winter commuter as well. If you do want to ride year round on one bike, I would suggest you look at a bike that can run a 3 inch tire and that has hydraulic disk brakes. I have had cables and rims freeze, and it can take the fun away in a big hurry.

Look at the various manufacturer's websites to see if there are any "Demo Days" near you, so you can test ride bikes on actual trails, not the usual parking lot test rides.

Pulled the trigger today. A LBS put their 2017 bikes on clearance for 30% off, so I picked up a Cannondale Cujo 3 for $680. Regular price on this one was just under $1,000. Got the chance to demo some bikes last week and decided I definitely wanted a 27.5+ bike.

These guys were really helpful, threw in a computer and frame pump for half price, and they include free service for 2 years with every bike they sell. Went straight to the trail and put on about 12 miles. Probably still need some minor adjustment with the seat and handlebars to get the fit dialed in just right, but I love this thing so far.

Congrats. I rented a Cujo not too long ago and I was really impressed with the handling. I normally ride a close to 3k full suspension bike and it took me only about 10 minutes to get used to the Cujo and start pushing it hard on the trails. They really got the geometry dialed. I am really impressed with that bike and $680 is a steal.

Mongoose 29" 21-Speed ($149.95) is what I bought not too long ago to replace the 7-speed my wife ran over.
lol.gif

Good bike.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Congrats. I rented a Cujo not too long ago and I was really impressed with the handling. I normally ride a close to 3k full suspension bike and it took me only about 10 minutes to get used to the Cujo and start pushing it hard on the trails. They really got the geometry dialed. I am really impressed with that bike and $680 is a steal.

Thanks. I've got about 75 miles on the new bike so far and this thing is super fun to ride. I've found it to be a bit slower on hard pack but I pretty much expected that. Everywhere else...softer dirt/sand, rougher terrain, rocks, roots, climbing, etc, this bike is awesome. I've found myself doing a lot more technical features on this bike too, which makes things even more fun, and I've only crashed on it once so far.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Mongoose 29" 21-Speed ($149.95) is what I bought not too long ago to replace the 7-speed my wife ran over.
lol.gif

Good bike.

Those type of bikes are fine for cruising around the neighborhood, but really are not meant to be used as a real mountain bike. Using them on a real MTB trail is just asking for trouble. Most of them have warning labels such as this on them.

schwinnwarn1.jpg

Cool, looks like a fun bike for a great price. If you kept your old bike, throw some semi slicks on it and now you've got a fast road bike too.

Awesome looking bike!

Someone else said the 27.5" plus tires are sensitive to tire pressure - that's true. You probably only need 12 psi in them. That pressure is usually equivalent to 24 psi in a regular tire because of the increased air volume of the plus-size tires.

Is it tubeless?

What components does it have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back