The old and not so old of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
About every 7 seconds, 9 folks pass away in the USA...It could happen to any of us.

Thought: It might be a good idea if one has his or her personal life in order before stepping into eternity...It's gonna happen to all of us...you know what I mean..

We have all heard stories of the person that just got a clean bill of health from the doctor and in a week or so passed on...

So true CD..

At 55 I hope to be around another 25 years but you never know.. Luckily my parents are both still alive and healthy- west texas farmers..

I have never been much of a label person but over the last few years I have really become a "minimalist".. Don't need a bunch of junk as it is so distracting etc.. I have to admit that I do like it - not really having anything..

I saw a post by someone on BITOG previously that has really stuck with me since I read it..it related to the fact that the poster needed little more than his freedom to get by on.. I like that..

If I was to drop dead typing this message it wouldn't take someone over a day to gather up my stuff and tie up all loose ends.. I like it that way..

I have a will, my medical power of attorney, my desires for my remains spelled out. My home is in a trust as we have a blended family and trusts set up for the kids so that they don't get a bunch of cash before 35 years of age.

At an active 79, I'm still doing my oil changes and yard work. I do have an estate plan in place to protect what I worked so hard for. Ed

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
About every 7 seconds, 9 folks pass away in the USA...It could happen to any of us.

Thought: It might be a good idea if one has his or her personal life in order before stepping into eternity...It's gonna happen to all of us...you know what I mean..

We have all heard stories of the person that just got a clean bill of health from the doctor and in a week or so passed on...

Amen, we will go back to our maker one day.
I have been to too many funerals for young people recently, kinda rings home how mortal we are. I pulled back my bucket list by 15 years, I plan to take 3 months off to spend time with my family especially my youngest.

Congrats on clean bill of health, stay healthy, happy and use synthetic oil ;-)

Originally Posted By: Eddie
At an active 79, I'm still doing my oil changes and yard work.

That's truly inspiring (not that 79 is old). Keeps me motivated to stay as active and healthy as I can. My wife is currently working on her PhD in nutrition so that gets beat into my brain on a daily basis. I look at my dad who is in his mid fifties. His health is rapidly going downhill and I would attribute it to a sedentary life style and a diet of fast food and frozen dinners.

My grandpa (dad's dad) turned 80 this year and has recently gotten into restoring old Ford 8N tractors, he does all of his yard work (we live in the mountains so lots of weedeating), raises a big garden, does all his car maintenance (has began to turn that over to me), cuts timber, does woodworking, and is generally in as good of health as I am at 29. My grandma cooks 6 nights a week and breakfast every day. She cooks far from "healthy", but it's home grown and home made. Granted, he has higher blood pressure than he should but overall doing great. I know this is way off topic, sorry.

Anyways, I have often talked to my wife about how we do need something in place just in case. We may be in the best of shape, but life can change or end in the blink of an eye. We don't have a lot of "stuff" on this Earth, but it's a good idea to have a plan in place.

Last edited:
What's your point?
Trolling.gif

We are only 1 heart beat from meeting God face to face . Best we have His Son make a happy introduction .

I am 48. My dad died at 51 of cancer and my mom at 54.
Haven't been to the doctor in 20 years since I went last February because I failed my DOT physical for high blood pressure. I went to the doctor, they put me on medication and now my BP is fine. I don't even drive big trucks anymore but my wife urges me to keep my CDL up because it's the only way I ll go to the doctor.
I don't dwell on it health or dying. I am financially secure. My kids are grown and able to fend for themselves.
I am insured well since I know my family tree has bad odds.
I feel constant trips to the doctor are like constant trips to the garage with a old car telling them to find something wrong. You know they will.
I had a really fun full filled life so if I died tomorrow, I had alot of fun living of course I don't plan on dying tomorrow so I keep right on having fun.

I am starting to realize about mortality. I have been relatively lucky. No one really close to me has died except my grandparents. Well this year my wife almost died along with my unborn child of a pulmonary embolism and my coworker at age 30 had 80% heart failure. Luckily theyre both still kicking. I just got the bad news that my wife doesn't qualify for Allstate life insurance while she's pregnant since she had the PE. I Suppose we need to get a will in order although we don't have much stuff or money to disburse. just a dog and a few fish and an old house.

You can get a will kit at Staples or Office Depot.
I'd definitely get one if you have a small child and who raises your child in your Demise. We had one.
I was worried my in-laws would lay thier hands on my kids if my wife and we both died and spend all thier inheritance long before they grew.
I am a only child with both parents dead. We actually named a close family friend that agreed t raise them and helped us with how to place the assets for them. Definitely something to think about. Now they are both over 18 and since there is two, it's a 50/50 split that they can fight over. May the best child win.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister

We are only 1 heart beat from meeting God face to face . Best we have His Son make a happy introduction .

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

We are only 1 heart beat from meeting God face to face . Best we have His Son make a happy introduction.

This is the only thing that matters. The wife and I do have that in order.
thumbsup2.gif

My personal view is that you arrange enough stuff that you don't leave the nuclear family unit in a position where your demise puts them in a position of nett debt...

And don't arrange their lives pre-emptively for after you are gone, as it's not yours to manage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back