AWD vs. FWD in warm weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on where in Texas he's moving to. I have Never, Not once needed 4wd/Awd in DFW.....I keep myself & my vehicles out of situations that would require it. We don't get snow, We get Ice. I stay home.

I don't see the attraction with 4wd in non snow or all on the road climates. Why bother paying the up front price when you don't need it. Then there's all that other maintenance in some cases and expensive components to break down. Gas mileage suffers as you need to drag all that other running gear around. It makes sense here in snow country particularly in trucks. Why, because there is absolutely nothing worse on snow than a rear wheel drive pickup. Most I've seen don't even have limited slip, just one wheel. You need 250 - 500 lbs of weight in the box just to get by in the winter. I used to have a honda CRX and Grand Cherokee. With Nokia Hoccapalita snows that sports car would plow snow nearly as well as the keep right till it got bumper deep. I was really amazed.
I rarely use my 4wd except to go out in the field on the ranch. Seldom on the road and don't miss it really. Down south what's the point? Off roading yea sure but if you're like most people in suburbia it's just a needless expense. As for the lower trade in value as I hear a lot, again right but remember you got it at a lower price as well.

This thread has limited info and unlimited uninformed opinions - I go places in Texas where I get to pull out all the wise guys with 2wd that thought FWD or positrac meant something.
When the weather has been moderate my wife brings the AWD down there - would never go there with 2wd - 10 miles from pavement ...

I like reading all of these takes. Some act like you're dead in the water with FWD.

It's price versus benefit. If they like the AWD and the color, go for it. Don't buy something you're not completely happy with the day you sign for it.

My work vehicle is a FWD Escape and it goes everywhere. I drive snow covered roads, take it "off road" to get to places, and drive it on muddy work sites. It's never been a problem. Most of the small SUV's will get by 99% of the time with FWD. Living in TX and being driven as a DD, that number is probably higher.

Majority of AWD suv's are simply FWD vehicles that kick power very occasionally to rear as needed. They used to be pretty slow and too late at that but have vastly improved in recent ones.

My guess in Texas unless you stomp on pedal on wet roads 99.5% of the time the AWD will never engage........

You know me and what I do in Texas? No, nothing condescending - you generalize the whole state/people with patronizing remarks. I'm someone who has owned 4WD's nonstop since 1979 - so many of us understand the baggage that goes with owning them. Very well in fact.

I would have him look into the specific awd system on the vehicle in question. How it really operates / the durability of the awd components / ease of service & fluid changes. Some are worth getting but most are not. The market is littered with lame awd systems that are nothing more than glorified traction control. Good luck

Lived in Texas all my life and all my vehicles are 4w drive. I live in the hill country and yes, it is needed.
We also travel in the winter to MT and NY.
For folks who don't travel out of state in the winter and stay on paved roads a 2 w drive will be just like peaches and cream.

I had a RWD car in Texas that was poor in rain and a variety of other conditions.

I had a FWD Rav4 in Texas and it was absolutely fine for city driving.

We then purchased a AWD Rav4 and we found it to be very useful for driving the coastal beaches, and getting around some rural roads in the Hill Country.

If he is just going to drive the car around town, you should be fine with the FWD Rav, but if you do any off roading, or beach dwelling, then I would consider the 4wd, but it is not necessary by any means.

The gulf beaches have hard packed sand, and all types of cars drive on them with no problems. You would only get into trouble if you went into the dunes, and most of those areas are blocked for vehicle traffic anyways.

We drive our Scion on the beaches with no problem at all regularly.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
You know me and what I do in Texas? No, nothing condescending - you generalize the whole state/people with patronizing remarks. I'm someone who has owned 4WD's nonstop since 1979 - so many of us understand the baggage that goes with owning them. Very well in fact.
What? Well,then why do you want to strap the "Baggage that goes with owning them" (awd)your words,above,on some op who knows nothing about awd vs. front wheel drive? My post re awd was correct. Don't bother me with your invented nonsense.

Your post is a single point and nothing more. This is a gearhead site - everyone here knows there is more cost & complexity in AWD - otherwise OP would not seek feedback. The "invented" nonsense comment is just pulled out of nowhere.

AWD can make a car handle better relative to its FWD counterpart. The "Sport mode" in the Toyota Dynamic Torque Control system will shift some power to the rear while cornering, to help reduce FWD plow.

x2.

I was just driving my Liberty in AWD yesterday (versus usual RWD) and noticed how nice it felt to have the front wheels participate. Same in my KL Cherokee- feels nice to put in sport or snow or mud mode to get the rear wheels to play.

I am the OP. Thank you all for your help. I directed my brother to read the comments of this thread in addition to his "googling". He just picked up a FWD Rav4, his reasoning was "less to break, easier to maintain, cheaper to buy, better fuel economy".

Thank you all for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back