Honeymoon destination....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawaii travel time will kill a day on each end between jet lag and actual travel. You need two weeks to see all of Hawaii (several islands). Bermuda is much easier to get to from FL.

What about Mexico?

Are you looking to do adventures or swim/lay on the beach and drink some tropical drinks?

Hawaii will cost more.

Have a nice life together and know that there will be bad times as well as good times. Most things pass, but you and everyone else comes through the not so good times with valuable lessons learned as well as hurts inflicted. Keep on the sunny side but don't forget that a dark cloud hides behind every silver lining. Everything in moderation. Congratulations and hope your honeymoon is an outstanding success.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Looking at going to either Bermuda or Hawaii at this point, any reason to pick one or the other? Any other recommendations, we are on a budget.

Seeing how you're already in Florida (no need for airfare), have you considered a Caribbean cruise? 7 day'ers are nice. They're cheap too.

What time of year are you going?

This.

We went on a 7 day Caribbean cruise with a balcony room cheaper than what a week's stay in Galveston would've cost.

Cancun if it is not too similar to FL to you. Bermuda would be much cheaper than Hawaii for sure, but if you are going to go to Hawaii at least once in your life, might as well go now and not having the itch later.

Shouldn't last Oct's cat 4 damage be cleaned up by now?

A cruise is nice, inexpensive and very relaxing.
You haven't said when you'll be going, but given the damage throughout many islands Caribbean, something down the east coast of Mexico might be nice and you can get one of these cruises from Tampa, which is a nice port to depart from.
Another possibility is a departure from New Orleans, since the trip down the river to the Gulf is really awesome.
Save Hawaii for when you can afford it well enough to enjoy it with no worries.
As others have noted, it isn't a budget friendly destination. It would be cheaper to visit Europe.
Finally, no part of Florida is anything like the Caribbean and we've spent enough time in both that I make this statement without any qualification.
Mexico, OTOH, is very nice and the Mexicans are very gracious and accommodating. Either Mexican coast is also cheap whether you're on a cruise or you fly in.
On a budget and want something fun and also nice?
Mexico, whether you cruise or fly down.

Cuba?
One of my favorite sayings is that we'd someday again invade the island, but this time the troops would be cleverly disguised as vacationers and would be deployed from cruise ships in their thousands.
If you want to see Cuba, now might be a good time, before the port of Havana becomes St. Maartenized.
We've been thinking about this trip ourselves.

The Hampden Inn in Mt Airy aka Mayberry NC. Yah the ride from Montego IA to Negril rivals anything 6 Flags has to offer I enjoyed my stay at Arthur's Sunset Hotel and the Sunset Grill across the road beside Club Med? Sandals was a 1/4 mile up the coast. We hired, Ronnie,a local of Indian descent to drive us around. It was great but a little too gritty for my first world references. And it was an oppressive 95. I walked around in my summer whites and a hat.My roomie got sunburned and paid 1500 Jamaican dollars for an aloe massage. I read novels and drank Blue Mountain coffee. My rooomie in his 30s, romped the beach , got fried by the sun. I did swim every day. Ate kingfish ,rice and peas at the Sunset grille. Went down the coast to a neat bar built on a rock . you have a meal and watch the guys jump off the rock.

Jamaica is indeed lovely but probably not the best destination for someone with limited experience in traveling outside this country, as the OP's post shows him to be.
Sandals and Club Med both have razor wire topped fences and armed security in Jamaica and there's a reason for this.
Really, in our travels in escaping the winter blues in the upper Midwest, we've found Mexico to be more congenial as well as safer and less expensive than any of the Caribbean islands.
Mexico is also a real country with much to see including real pre Columbian ruins.
That's why I suggested Mexico to the OP.
Cuba also appears to be quite scenic and quite cheap but freedom of movement for Americans is limited in that you won't be able to see much of this large island.
Still, it might be worth the trip before it becomes the new destination with five or six ships a day calling.

my wife and I went to tecopa hot springs in California, the result of a semi aimless road trip honeymoon. it was pretty cool, kinda like a fever dream town with Hunter s Thompson as the mayor

How long of a stay?

You lose a LOT of time coming and going from HI, not to mention jet lag, etc.

From FL, Bermuda should be maybe 2 hours by air.

Cruises to bermuda are also pretty decent.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
How long of a stay?

You lose a LOT of time coming and going from HI, not to mention jet lag, etc.

From FL, Bermuda should be maybe 2 hours by air.

Cruises to bermuda are also pretty decent.

We will have 7 full days in Kauai. Then 2 or 3 travel days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back