Anyone using a AAP Gold car battery??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, this is pretty much all I use and they're fine. Just have'em load tested as that approach the 4-5 year mark. AAP(all stores) load tests for free and gives a printout which shows the condition of the battery. Other auto parts stores such as AutoZone only show, GOOD or REPLACE when they load test.

Quick story:

Had my battery loaded tested at AAP and it showed GOOD w/ CA/CCA readings with other info as well. Went across the street to AutoZone and had them load test the same battery only to have the AZ loat test show - REPLACE BATTERY! NO printout and no explanation.

Last edited:
I think that's what we have in her Volvo. ~2.5 year roughly.

The battery goes in the trunk so it has a rather easy life.

Originally Posted By: bbhero

Demarpaint 13 yrs is crazy long lasting. I agree that 6-7 yes and you will have done good.

It is. Although Trav beat me with a Diehard Gold by about a year. My OE Mopar battery lasted about 8.5 years, which is quite good considering I've read they're supposed to be junk. But then again people often join message boards to complain. No complaints from me about that battery either.

It's possible to get long life out of them-I had an Interstate MTP-78 that lasted 13 years before it finally started testing bad in the Sierra, that one actually didn't leak. The side terminal JC batteries must be better, I haven't had leakage issues with those, just the top post ones.

Sounds like the Gold batteries are a good buy.

Their Silver batteries just don't last for me. Had to exchange two of them right before one year had expired from two different cars. One of those replacements lasted about another year, and it was done.

I've only bought one Gold and it failed a little early for me. I think it was a 7 year warranty. I think it made it 3 years which to me is a little shy of average; disappointing for a premium battery. It failed right after I sold the car but I gave the buyer the paperwork and specifically the receipts and mentioned the newer battery.

I'm currently on an AGM kick - so that's what I buy. None have gotten very old yet, and none have failed, so I can't yet determine their lifespan.

-m

FWIW, I found my records. I bought the first one 13 November 2014 using the $50 off $120. So I believe the replacement was November 2016.

Thought I had it longer, but apparently not, and I tested it at 24 not 35 months, just in case. I wasn't having any issues, just a test for the fall/winter season.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another. But I am trying out the $49 one year battery at Wal*Mart in the 99 Grand Marquis. If I get more than 2 years from that, I figure I'm money ahead.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
The one in my Mazda Protege5 went just under 3 years and needed replacement. I had it tested at their store during month 35 and it determined to need replacement.

They gave me a new one without drama. Still worked fine two plus years later. Just traded the car two weeks ago with ~226K miles on her.

I have one from 2013 in a car that lives in the garage most of the time, driven once a week or so, still putting out the same 550CCA it did when new. Incredible thing. (Nissan Versa) That said, without a coupon they charge too much for them and I can get a better warranted Interstate from Costco for $75 or less.

In my Acura, the first AAP gold battery lasted 2.5 years. Replaced for free under warranty. The second AAP Gold battery lasted 1.5 years, and actually left me stranded during the hurricane evacuation last week. 1.5 FREAKING YEARS out of a battery. Unbelievable. Battery still had like 30 months of prorate left on it. I called 5 different stores, and they all told me to pound sand, that they no longer did prorate, and in fact, no one knew how to even do a prorate sale.

So I went to the only other store that was open after the hurricane (Autozone), and bought one of their $139.99 batteries. That's more than I wanted to spend, but I was in a bind and I needed a battery, and practically no other stores were open. Not even Wal-Mart. The Autozone phone lines were down, the stores computer system was down, the credit card processing machines were down. There were 5 guys in line trying to buy car batteries, with credit cards. None of them had cash. I had cash. I was able to purchase a battery. Lesson learned people, carry at least a couple hundred dollars of cash if an impending hurricane is heading your way.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
There were 5 guys in line trying to buy car batteries, with credit cards. None of them had cash. I had cash. I was able to purchase a battery. Lesson learned people, carry at least a couple hundred dollars of cash if an impending hurricane is heading your way.

keeping some cash at home just in case (not just hurricane) is a good idea IMHO.
how exactly hurricanes are hard on batteries? do people discharge them to charge their phones or something similar?

BTW, if you buy batteries at AAP for a less popular car model, don't be surprised if they try to give you 1 year old and discharged junk to you. I happened to me once.

One thing that kind of is cruddy in your circumstance is that Johnson Controls makes the batteries for Autozone has well. Go figure. But yeah I agree that really is no good there. Is your car battery size an unusual one?? One that doesn't sell quickly?? If one sits for a long time and is not charged regularly then it GREATLY cuts down on battery life. If the parts store people don't charge the lead acid Batteries at a good routine then they will be poor. AGMs are obviously much better at having a slower self discharge rate. Even they need to be charged as well but aren't quite as bad at self discharge as the flooded lead acid batteries are. Another factor is how the battery was taken care of in transport from manufacturer to supply house and then to the parts store. Lots of vibration is not helpful for them either.

I hope that you and your family had no big issues from that storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back