How much antiseize do you usually use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a retired Navy engine master mechanic who did all the major maintenance on my Silverton Yacht engines for years. He used anti-seize on everything. He said that if a Navy mechanic failed to use it on a job and it resulted in a problem in a later repair they would be in serious trouble.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Ducked, you know your environment in Taiwan. You are on the interweb, why can't you get somebody to send you small quantities of various hard to come by stuff?

Antiseize? Because not having it has convinced me I don't need it. Think I said that already.

I bought a little permatex aluminium stuff, some silicone grease and some red rubber grease (for brakes) in Japan last year. Got a beam-type torque wrench in the UK 3-4 years ago, Gunson ColourTune and an electronic ignition kit in the UK last year.

Could do with a dwell meter but I'm told you can get them here, which is a bit surprizing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
As a pro tech, we don't even have any in the shop.

grin.gif

Taiwanese-owned company?
smile.gif

I suppose pro's might be less concerned about what happens a few years down the line, but, cynicism aside, that does tend to confirm my impression that anti-seize often isn't as essential as many people make out.

Here in Taiwan its probably dispensable partly because there's no salting (Apart from "coastal" vehicles. My car was owned by a surfer: something to avoid anywhere) and partly because there are very few old cars (Mine is 31 years, which is shock-horror-disbelief unusual).

I'd be more concerned by the probable lack of special brake greases, which I'd bet means they use standard oil-based lithium , not unknown with British mechanics in my admittedly very limited experience of British mechanics.

Even that may not be such a big deal. Certainly there seems to be little interest in the question of rubber compatability of grease in CV boots and track rod ends, which I've tried to raise on here a couple of times to null response.

Canadian tech, and like it says in my sig, Acura.
wink.gif
and we are very concerned with getting things apart later. We are the only Acura dealer in town, so every car we work on, we will be working on again. And I work in the region with the highest salt use in the world. Anti seize really does not help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AVB
I use just a dab, sometimes I will put a dab on one bolt and take another bolt and work the threads against each other to spread and apply it to both bolts.

Yeh, that works quite nicely.I also use the pour hole in a beer can for thread clean-up, which leaves some aluminium on the threads. If you screw a stack of can-tops together you get multiple edges which goes quicker.

Some improvisations might have an unanticipated downside though. I used PTFE tape to back up the silicon grease on my brake caliperpins. Seems to be working well but if the brakes ever get really hot that could break down to form hydofluoric acid, which is nasty stuff. If I rebuild the calipers again I'll get the PTFE out of there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back