Honda EM7000is running since Sunday (IRMA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Originally Posted By: henni

Generator uses about 4 gallons every 6 hours.

Now I know why I will never buy a generator more powerfull than 2000/2500W

Visit anywhere in FL in mid-September and you'll understand just how great a thing AC is.
To run virtually everything one might want to run, the fuel consumption seems reasonable to me, but then we pay a whole lot less for it here than you would in your location.

henni -

hope ur hanging through. What's your fuel storage like. Just kurious so you're depending on a portable.
Or are you modded and running of NG gas ?

I have 15-18 jerry's on deck with 2 full at any given time of the year

Originally Posted By: chefwong
What's your fuel storage like.

Typically always have couple dozen empty 5/6 gallon containers and pre-storms, stock up. If a nonevent, just use with other engines over a month or two. If a real event, good to go for up to 3 weeks.

I have friends in low places, just received a fuel supply originated from nearest Costco
wink.gif

Did an oil change at precisely 100 hours, used PUP 0w40 for refill. Earlier, had attached a Qwik Valve with a teflon drain adapter so it was a breeze to drain and fill in under 5 minutes without tools.

Last edited:
...now at 73 hours on the LCD/LED display

Powering 3 heatpumps, 3 refrigerators, keeping house cool at 74 F, running mostly at 2720 rpm and 1500 VA

The only item turned off was water heater, everything else is powered on

Will likely do an oil change by Thursday

Henni, if you run a 240 Volt water heater element on 120 Volts it will draw only 1/2 as much current, and 1/4 as much Wattage (because the Voltage is is also half and the power is Volts X Amps). It will of course take 4 times longer to heat the water, but if you have time for this you can still have hot water without over loading your generator. If you rewire your water-heater to do this be sure to still have the water-heater thermostat still in the circuit so the water heater will not over heat the water and possibly cause a steam explosion.

Last edited:
Great post. I have been following. Those that are considering a generator need to read this post.

The Honda you have is very efficient. I don't see the EM 7000 but the EM 6500 is rated (as I calculated) 5.45 KWH per gallon @ 3250watts or 16%. At full load (6500 watts) it gets 7.23 KWH per gallon gasoline or 21% this is fantastic but shows how much more efficient these things are at higher load..

In comparison the EM 4000 will get 6.32 KWH per gallon of gasoline at full load.

Just for comparison henni dropped his average usage to about 2KW (I took into account that at 1/3 load the usage is probably 5KW/gal [possibly a bit less])

Not faulting him for his choice lower load possibly means more reliability ..hard to tell.

Would love an update!!

Last edited:
If a real event, good to go for up to 3 weeks.

EDIT: Have now calculated my actual fuel use since Sunday. For the 1st 32 hours, I used 15 gallons but from Monday around mid-day, I am now using 10 gallons / 24 hours.

You would need 210 gallons dude. Thats forty-four 5 gal containers
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: Cujet
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=394221&highlight=generator+efficiency

Take a look at the above link, for my thread on Generator Fuel Consumption.

I typically run about 4000-6000W load, managing the load to keep the generator within limits.

The inverter generators are absolutely awesome, and during periods of lower loads, they don't consume nearly as much fuel, plus they are very pleasant to live with. Want!!!!

But we must remember that modern, high quality generator heads hover around 85-90% efficiency at any reasonable load.
Originally Posted By: chefwong
What's your fuel storage like.

Typically always have couple dozen empty 5/6 gallon containers and pre-storms, stock up. If a nonevent, just use with other engines over a month or two. If a real event, good to go for up to 3 weeks.

I have friends in low places, just received a fuel supply originated from nearest Costco
wink.gif

Did an oil change at precisely 100 hours, used PUP 0w40 for refill. Earlier, had attached a Qwik Valve with a teflon drain adapter so it was a breeze to drain and fill in under 5 minutes without tools.

Either of you still on backup or is the grid back online yet?

Originally Posted By: Balrog006

Either of you still on backup or is the grid back online yet?

Yea..haven't had an update for 11 days
confused2.gif

Last edited:
Hey Cujet:

Is that a real British Lister or an Indian/Chinese knock off? Whatever it is, it's an absolute beauty!

I had a twin cylinder, air cooled 5K unit for a while. Bought it used. Was supposed to have been reconditioned/rebuilt. Put maybe 50 hours on it before it pegged out.

It was late fall and I was in the camp on a stormy night, all nice and toasty by the woods stove, kinda napping when the lights started to brown out. I stepped outside and could hear expensive sounds 100 ft. up the hill at the garaged. I hurried up the hill in the dark to investigate. In between brown outs, I could see that the engine had probably dropped a valve in one cylinder and had caused considerable damage. The banging noise was loud and a little frightening. I could see a fine spray of oil blowing from the effected cylinder spray painting the garage wall. Seems the the old Lister was on it's way out. I quickly shut it down.

What impressed me the most wast the good cylinder just kept running like the other one didn't matter other than when the piston would hit the valve and momentarily slow rotation causing the brownouts. I suspect that in due course, sufficient debris accumulating in the oil sump would soon destroy the entire engine.

Despite my disappointment with this old and obviously tired generator, there was a silver lining following this dark cloud. I returned it for full purchase price to buy the excellent Kubota diesel that I've been running for some 34 years now.

Yes, on utility power, all back to normal.

How many hours? I believe you had indicated about 50KWH/day

Yes, on utility power, all back to normal.

I assume you mean electric supply is normal? How's the cleanup? Any structural damage? To you or close by?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back