Sisters bad Toyota experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: artbuc

More accurate to say most PEOPLE don't know how to open the hood latch. In fact, I would say more women I know have a better chance of changing a flat tire than the average man. Your comment is outdated by 30-40 years.

Bullpucky

Nope! Most men I know are older professional types and younger metrosexual types. They can't even start a lawnmower. Most women I know are also professional but many are homemakers. They are fiercely independent and make it a point to read their OM's so they won't be duped by dumb mechanics who think women don't know how to find the hood latch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Astro14
So, it went 143,000 miles before she had to pay for a major repair?

And she lives in the rust belt, so it has rust, too?

And you think the CRV will last longer before rust or a major out of pocket repair?

Good luck....

No, it went 143k before a possibly life threatening failure of a part that should last the life of the vehicle in normal service.

That was my point but I guess replacing Haldex diffs at 10 years old is par for the course for Volvo owners? Replacing a diff on Subaru is unheard of unless owner places significant size mismatched tires.

I've owned 23 cars, and have never replaced a differential. Perhaps because I change the fluid in them. My 1990 4Runner is still on the road in the hands of its new owner and still has the original differentials at 285,000, despite a hard life.

Either way, 143,000 is well out of warranty and stuff happens. At that age/mileage, repairs are on the owner.

Nope! Most men I know are older professional types and younger metrosexual types. They can't even start a lawnmower. Most women I know are also professional but many are homemakers. They are fiercely independent and make it a point to read their OM's so they won't be duped by dumb mechanics who think women don't know how to find the hood latch.

I honestly think those kind of dudes know how to do this stuff,but they just think "dirty work" is below them and just simply "won't" do it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I honestly think those kind of dudes know how to do this stuff,but they just think "dirty work" is below them and just simply "won't" do it.

For the older professional types I agree with that statement, the younger generation, not so much. One of my friends bought a house about 6 months ago, he is the same age as me (27). I had to teach him how to mow the lawn, clear snow from the driveway, clean up leaves in his yard, etc. Granted, when he lived home he had the opportunity to do all this stuff, his parents just did it the whole time he lived there. His younger brother has blown two engines in his cars due to not checking the oil.

It has a lot to do with how parents raise their kids. My younger sisters are not mechanically inclined at all, but my dad taught them how to check the oil in their cars and what the different lights on the dash mean. I feel there are really two types of people. Those who are independent and want to figure things out (watch youtube how-to videos, etc) and those who really don't care enough to learn.

I have RAV4 myself and they are not the most reliable Toyotas (rear diff is known as one of the problem areas). On the other hand, these days no one want to buy the most reliable toyotas (prius and yaris, I have those too). go figure.

Rav4 has not had a stellar reputation for reliability specially the V6s.
Well these days more and more Americans are buying the behemoths, men on their Silverado/F-150 trucks and women on their Tahoes/Subs. The other day I was hearing PBS and it said never in the history have there been more American on auto loans (115M auto loans) than home loans - says a lot of where the priorities lies in buying autos these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back