Disappointed with Wix filters and customer service

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy that installed that rubber one should have trimmed that gasket so it looks better and doesnt crack like that. But I have to agree with him they should have offered him new gasket...What does that cost the company 5$? shipping included...

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
What's all that orange glop? I can only speak for the cars I've owned but none of them required any extra gasket sealant. They all said either use a proper gasket, or use a gasket-maker compound, but not both. Could this be a case of some interaction between the gasket material and the orange stuff?

I only used a little dab of it on the corners to keep the gasket in place when installing it.

Try a Felpro gasket. They are very robust and come packaged flat in a box, not all wadded up like the gypo ones. I don't remember ever seeing a good gasket in any low priced kit, regardless of brand. Chock it up to experience. This is one of those things that it pays to spend an extra $6 to not have to do it over again. Just my opinion.

Also, I found torque wrenches to not work well with pan gaskets. In my experience, the gasket just continues to squish down if you go around the gasket several times, resulting in gasket damage. What works better for me, if I choose to use a torque wrench, is to tighten them up with the wrench to about 75% of the final value to get them even. Then, go around manually and tighten each one the same amount of angle....45, 90 or whatever degrees needed to feel "right". Just something I played around with. Pro mechanics do it all by feel and get a kick out of shadetree highjinks like mine. So be it.

Notice in your pictures that the cracks are only at the bolt locations? The rubber may have been squished too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back