Fave power steering fluid replacement technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OhOMG
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I so far have done the reservoir technique only. Tempted to try the hose method.

Same here. Turkey baster or regular siphon from reservoir until it is empty or near empty. Refill to proper level. Turn wheel back/forth a few times. Repeat some time later, if desired.

Easy peasy.

+1

Turkey baster method.

The last car I removed the PS return line was flared out quite a bit from that pump fitting. When put back on it leaked. Had to cut off 1" of hose to get it to stop leaking. There's only so much hose you can play with.

I use the industrial grade turkey baster from Harbor Freight.

image_12992.jpg

Another vote for the turkey baster method. I do it once a year and gently replenish the fluid this way. I personally don't like messing with old hoses & clamps in a line flush. A lot people on YT vids make the PS pump moan & groan since they can't add fluid in fast enough.

Originally Posted By: panther427
My favorite method is to purchase a brand new vehicle and trade in the old one. Only takes once. And all the fluid is changed

Lol... Sounds expensive!

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I use the industrial grade turkey baster from Harbor Freight.

image_12992.jpg

Same one I use

Depends on the car year/make/model?

For the older Toyota Camry/Sienna, it did not take that much fluid to flush it out.

Depends on the car year/make/model?

For the older Toyota Camry/Sienna, it did not take that much fluid to flush it out.
Usually I did not use more than 1 quarts for a complete PS return line flush.

Originally Posted By: bugeye
I pull the return hose and suck out the reservoir. I then remove and clean the reservoir. Reinstall and fill with fresh fluid. Connect drain hose to return line and start/stop engine a few times while filling reservoir. It does pump out fast.

Yes, it comes out rather forcefully. If you jack up the front wheels off the ground, it won't come out as violently and will be more manageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back