Ford PTU gear oil life

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick BITOG search hasn't shown much info on the Ford power transfer units (PTU) found in various AWD Ford applications. I browsed through the most recent thread (~Spring 2016) and didn't see this posted so I figured it'd be worth mentioning and discussing.

Here's an interesting link I found. Blackstone recomended 10k intervals on a PTU with the factory cooler. Explorer Forum
Keep in mind, this is on an Explorer. I am not sure if there's any differences between these and other AWD Fords. Tauruses, (as well as the SHO), Fusions, Edges etc.

Some PTU's have coolers while some do not. Also, at least on the older models for the North American market, there's plenty of how-to's on adding a drain plug because originally Ford thought it was a lifetime fluid. Simple Googling has shown many failures well under 100k. They get hot and when they're by the exhaust, I imagine they get even hotter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
From what I've seen of those without coolers, if be doing that every 5k miles.

Once out of warranty, I'd add external cooler, pump, and filter.

Agree. The heat is destroying the oil is such a short period of time you almost might as well do monthly or weekly changes. Its so pathetically underengineered.
I think like $500-600 could get you a professional oil circulation pump, stacked plate OTA cooler, filter and filter head, plumbing and lines. If you can keep the oil under 200F average you could probably run 30-40-50k on a change.

Last edited:
Did a little under 12mo and around 10k miles on my wife's 2014 Explorer with Amsoil SG 75w140. Came out looking almost as bad as the OE stuff did at 70k miles.

What does the cooler look like? - mine has a scoop under bumper and air duct back to the region. One pipe was so close that I had a muffler shop swing it wider to both move heat source and be able to reach the drain plug. I wrapped the pipes with a really good header tape.

Will try my method of oil change in 3 weeks - going with Motorcraft ...

I haven't had a chance to take a closer look, but from what I've seen online, it just has 2 coolant hoses connected to it.

Hey now this is exciting! Hooked up my obd2 Bluetooth and opened forscan lite. It is able to monitor Tue ptu temp sensor (which is called transfer case.temp).

Was 145 degrees when I just scanned on a short trip, but the car was driven a lot earlier in the day also.

I'll post back when I have better data.

Did you stick with ASG? Thinking I'll go MC until warranty is out and then try Redline - anyone running that in Ford PTU's?

Does the AWD beat up the PTU fluid worse than the 4WD does in a 2017 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer? If I'm not mistaken if the 4WD is not engaged then the Explorer is in front wheel drive mode. Is it using the PTU while in FWD? With the 2.3 EcoBoost in this Explorer it looks like there is plenty of air space between components underneath. I don't have an under body "shield" which makes doing any maintenance underneath easy. I had the dealer change the PTU fluid at 9,000 miles and will do again around 18,000 miles. It looks like it's a beotch to do yourself. At that point I'll have the dealer change the rear diff also, it also looks like a real pain to change compared to the rear diffs that I'm familiar with. Sad to say I'm not getting any younger and my body fights me everyday. Though changing the oil& filter and ATF is a piece of cake on this vehicle
grin.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: buck91
8 miles from "cold" start with 85f ambient temperature. Ptu is 157f.

Was it actually holding at this temperature? 157*F doesn't seem too bad.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Even lower with Motorcraft FF - 262F (0.7)

What do you mean?

Found Motorcraft PDS and applied MolaKule's 0.7 ... thinking he ran it on ASG since that was the gear oil mentioned as not looking much better than MC on shorter (non FF) OCI.
Plan to do mine at 40k with MC - but might go Redline once out of warranty.

Apologies. I am still not seeing how you're getting the numbers.

I looked up the SDS for MC 75w-140 just to see if I was missing something and the flash point looks to be 329*F.

That said, it does look to be a tad more stout than M1. Higher cSt @ 40*C.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Was it actually holding at this temperature? 157*F doesn't seem too bad.

Not sure, just the longest drive I've had the chance to monitor so far. If you assume the Explorer will thermostat regulate the trans to the same temp as my 2011 F150 (195 degrees give or take) then the drivetrain wasn't up to temp yet. Interesting to see that the PTU and trans were within a few degrees this entire period, though.

It is not dated - but this is the version on top line in Bing search:

Not in US - so don't know PN of what I have in my shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back