Any fishermen here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Sunday Afternoon BITOG
smile.gif

My real father and I go to Pymatuning Lake maybe 3 times a year and Lake Erie 2 times to fish for walleye, perch and pike. Speaking of this; what fish do you folks like to eat?

I personally like salmon and [censored] and perch

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pymatuning_Reservoir

Last edited by a moderator:
Living on the south shore of Long Island, my dad and I were huge into Blues, Tuna and sharks. Tuna was always my favorite.
Now, I've kinda lost interest in fishing but my son likes it so we fish with my dad. He's awesome at finding Fluke and stripers.
We've been catching tons of snappers behind his house. They're good eating fried up with a little flour.

I've gone probably 10 times this year. Just went yesterday. Caught a 21 inch brown trout on the Middle Fork of The South Platte River with a Johnson tigerfish spoon.

0916171245.jpg

Last edited:
I grew up fishing the small lakes of north central Indiana. Worms in a coffee can and one piece cane poles tied to the side of the car while driving to the lake. Rent a row boat for $1.00. The savory Bluegill was what we were after. Anyone who has never had fresh bluegill fried up with a light cornmeal coating simply don't know what they are missing. A very delicate, sweet meat.

To this day, I still prefer to just fish for bluegill with a simple set up, on hidden away lakes. Occasionally I do some small river fishing for catfish, with the bait rigged to sit on the river bottom.

There's something about sitting on or near a calm body of water that is both relaxing and invigorating at the same time.

Not much of a fisherman, but I caught a small mouth bass up in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area a few years ago. Was pretty delicious. I was looking for walleye, my favorite fish to eat.

I went to Pymatuning to camp a little earlier this year, been there quite a few times growing up in the NE Ohio.

Not a huge fresh water fish fan. Except for BIL's hickory smoked trout. I was raised on cod,haddock and flounder. Grilled striped bass is the bees knees.

I enjoyed northern pike in Quebec, nice n big, easy to separate the bones resulting in nice big fillets
problem is the bears like pike too! lol
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Speaking of this; what fish do you folks like to eat?

I like this kind
laugh.gif

Ha - that's what I get there too - catch and release these off my pier or boat:
(Note the Bill Dance trick of getting a 22" fish close to camera)
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Speaking of this; what fish do you folks like to eat?

I like this kind
laugh.gif

Same here.

smile.gif

My real father and I go to Pymatuning Lake maybe 3 times a year and Lake Erie 2 times to fish for walleye, perch and pike. Speaking of this; what fish do you folks like to eat?

LOL the censor took out c r a p p i e! It's just a fish for crying out loud!
I prefer salmon, and also mahi (dolphin fish, NOT Flipper) fresh caught out of the ocean.

I like a lot of kinds of fish, but really love perch, halibut, and catfish.

We were in Aruba for vacation not long ago and any menu item that just said "fish" there would end up being grouper.
It turns out that I really do NOT like grouper...

I'm utterly hopeless at catching fish in fresh water.

Estuary stuff, bream and whiting. In adelaide, we used to get eel tailed catfish, and they were very very nice. If buying from the supermarket or takeaway (in Melbourne), I'll take flake (shark)

The funny thing,when people go out to these "local" seafood restaurants thinking it came from the ocean across the street,it really comes from here haha:

I used to fish a lot, caught a lot of speckled trout, redfish, Spanish and King Mackerel, triggerfish, mingo snapper, red snapper, bonito, blue runners, banded rudderfish and other assorted members of the jack family. That was the good thing about saltwater fishing, if you knew how to read a tides chart and could match your bait to what the fish were feeding on you had a good chance of catching at least some kind of fish. Even a salt water catfish or small ray was fun and could stretch your line. I used to fish in spring, summer and fall then spend winter doing boat maintenance and building or repairing fishing rods and reels.

I have not been fishing since 2002. After my first wife died I developed a different perspective on a lot of things and started seeing things from the fish's point of view. Since then if I want fish I can buy it at Publix or go out for a good seafood dinner at Bonefish Grill, Red Lobster, Flying Fish down at Disney's Boardwalk or catfish at our local catfish place. Fried fresh triggerfish and grilled dolphin, preferably chicken dolphin have always been my favorites.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
smile.gif

LOL the censor took out c r a p p i e! It's just a fish for crying out loud!
I prefer salmon, and also mahi (dolphin fish, NOT Flipper) fresh caught out of the ocean.

Now you have to admit that is funny!

To the point I prefer Salmon or Trout.

If a choice between meat and seafood for the rest of my life, it's seafood, easy.

Can't think of anything from the sea that I don't like. (Except Lutefisk. But that's just because it's a vile method of preparation that ruins some lovely cod)

Around here the c r a p p i e and bluegill are at their best when caught thru the ice and since that's a young mans sport I haven't done it in years. They just taste better out of the cold water vs summer warmer water.

Before my father in-law passed away we use to go to Pashkokogan Lake in Canada every year and spend a week with a couple other guys doing nothing but fishing, eating fish and some light drinking (cough). The walleye and pike are the some of the best I've ever had. The only problem with this is it ruined fishing for me around here so I haven't picked up a pole in almost 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back