Engine pad heater

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer block heaters which contact coolant to be superior at heat transfer.

We only use the magnetic oilpan heaters on large equipment with large oil capacity in combination with block heaters.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Anyone ever use the oil pan pad heaters by Wolverine or Kats? I have a plastic oil pan, but might try a smaller one somewhere else on the engine.

I have Wolverine oil pan heaters on both my Jeeps. They work quite well, they heat the oil from the lowest part of the engine, the oil pan. As the heat rises it heats up the block to a certain degree. They get the oil to operating temps in cold weather much faster than a block heater does. I also have block heaters, where a block heater shines is in getting heat to the cabin and defrosting windows. A combo of the two is the best possible thing you can do during extreme cold.

Even is super cold weather, changing to full synthetic engine oil meant I didn't need a heater.
For a car or truck anyway.

For a really old cars/trucks that has cold weather starting/running problems including iffy carb setups,
then a block heater would help a lot.

On a contract years back at "Pryroil" they were working to cheapen out their block heaters
since a retailer said heaters that lasted 5 years was "too long" and they were shooting for
a useful life of just 3 years! Kinda made me mad!

I've not had much luck with the little pad heaters. Block heaters are the way to go if one can get to the block. My Xterra I couldn't see my way to get to where it was supposed to go. Put a lower hose heater on the Jeep TJ and worked well.

I have both on the F-450 in my sig, a Wolverine stick-on on the pan, and the factory block heater. The Wolverine allows me to run any grade oil I want in winter (currently straight 30) without worrying about whether the engine will start & starve for oil in temps below 0F., and the block heater helps the top end & heater warm up faster. I've even stashed my old 6A battery charger underhood & used a cube tap to power all 3 at once. Although, last winter, didn't even need it.

Last edited:
I have the factory one on my Liberty and it works well. Heats up a lot faster with it. It doesn't need it, but if it makes its life easier, why not?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back