P0328 code - 2004 Sienna

NJC

2004 Sienna @ 260K KM's throwing P0328 code. I haven't seen anything specific for this vehicle. This has me stumped, and I'm not confident replacing the knock sensor will solve problem.

Quote:
P0328 Knock Sensor Circuit High Input

A P0328 code is a generic DTC, thus it applies to all makes of vehicles, and refers to a high output voltage of the knock sensor. In many cases, this means the voltage is above 4.5V but that specific value depends on the specific make and model of vehicle. This code refers to the sensor on bank #1.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0328

Interesting stuff in the Toyota manual.

I'd bet my ~$120 (RockAuto price) that it's the sensor.

The 4 sensor codes I've pulled have all been bad sensors only.

Not conclusive I know but it's what I'd do.

I'd look at the wires and connector at the sensor.

Is it a single wire sensor?
Cycle the connector, inspect and clean contacts as needed.
It could have a bad ground thru the mount threads, unscrew, clean threads, put back on.

More then 1 wire to the sensor?
Ditto above. Circuit may or may not rely on a ground at the sensor, try and see.

If nothing works:
You may need a sensor. If it's pricy, hold off as you search for answers.
Call the dealer parts guy and see if they have "lots" in stock or if they have to order
it.

Getting casual comments from the parts guy like, 'never had a problem', 'we order
these on a regular basis' or 'there's a new version', etc will be a clue that can help.

Over the yrs I've ID'd weak parts and got spares that allow me to run a car 10-20 yrs
on! and on the cheap without getting gouged!
smile.gif

If you have not done so I would clear the code and see if it returns, while you continue to research possible causes, since it does not seem to be something needing immediate attention.

Update April 2021 - I had 2004 Sienna (P0328 code) fixed summer 2019. I continually cleared codes for a few yrs until CEL stayed on permanently.

The problem was coolant leak in intake manifold area that was pooling and causing knock sensor failure. Mechanic replaced gasket, knock sensor and back 3 plugs + PCV valve too while in there.

We're at 344,000 KM's now.

Update April 2021 - I had 2004 Sienna (P0328 code) fixed summer 2019. I continually cleared codes for a few yrs until CEL stayed on permanently.

The problem was coolant leak in intake manifold area that was pooling and causing knock sensor failure. Mechanic replaced gasket, knock sensor and back 3 plugs + PCV valve too while in there.

We're at 344,000 KM's now.
So, after driving it for 2 years, you didn't notice any coolant smell (or having to add coolant). Maybe I'm the odd one, but I can smell a coolant leak when there are only a few drops leaking.

So, after driving it for 2 years, you didn't notice any coolant smell (or having to add coolant). Maybe I'm the odd one, but I can smell a coolant leak when there are only a few drops leaking.
I don't recall smelling coolant, and the leak was minor. I remember seeing dried pink coolant in the runner, but didn't connect the dots.

There was evidence of mice at the time, and my hunch was that they had chewed through the wiring.

Back