Hows living in Texas? Moving family soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't realize the Austin Humidity either until I spent a couple weeks in Vegas and absolutely loved the dry heat.

It is absolutely correct that DFW builds real roads, and real highways.

Austin can't get that figured out for some reason.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: TheKracken

76114 is the zip code, I believe someone mentioned to me that this is called River Oaks area. I would like to know more about this area if it is going to be safe or not for my family?

I don't have any formal education in automotive but I do just about all my own work to my vehicles. I wouldn't mind breaking into the auto industry there if it is actually good. I have heard that it is just not worth it to be a mechanic anymore in most places.

The bulk of 76114 is River Oaks, Also includes 2 other smaller municipalities.....Samsom Park & Westworth Village.
River Oaks is not part of FWISD, It's part of Castleberry ISD, My oldest spent 2 years at Irma Marsh Middle School using a friends address & she really liked it. I would say Castleberry is a decent school district but you may want to check it out yourself.

River Oaks itself is pretty good besides the Trailer Parks on the south side as they breed crime but the River Oaks police department doesn't play around if you know what I mean!

You will basically be surrounded by the West Fork of the Trinity River....Lots of Parks!, Lake Worth is very close. Sundance Square in Downtown Fort Worth, The Fort Worth Zoo is one of the best in the country, Historic Stockyards.
We also have some of the best Tex-Mex....Try Joe T Garcia's! If you like Steaks, Try Cattlemans & The Star Cafe.

River Oaks is flanked to the East by "Northside" of Fort Worth, While it has calmed down A LOT in the last 30 years. There are still a few Hispanic Gangs running rackets....Mostly vehicle theft & drugs.
Open violence is a rarity, I doubt you will even notice.
The Joint Navel Reserve Base (Formally Carswell Air Force Base)is directly to the West so it can get a little noisy at times.

For work.....Lockheed Martin is a stones throw from River Oaks, That's the first place I would seek employment if I was a young man!
General Motors has a fullsize SUV assembly plant in Arlington. (HWY 360)
Summit Racing Equipment just opened a store right on the border of Arlington & Grand Prairie (I-20 & HWY 360).
There is a ton of full time w/ benefit Warehouse work near Alliance Airport, My wife is a manager at a DHL warehouse & can't find enough people without criminal backgrounds to fill all the positions.

Then there's Roughnecking, My Nephew is a Tool Pusher & all the Rigs he works on are within driving distance of DFW.

As far as the Rigid Far Right Republican [censored], Yes....It's here. However, The Baby Boomer era is grinding to a halt & a lot of that nonsense will die with them. Not that I'm a Lefty, It's the extreme political stance that bothers me.

Good Luck!

Sounds like there are a lot of jobs there which will be really nice. I would really like to be able to raise my family. It would be cool if I could learn a trade that I might be able take with me elsewhere or maybe even stay in Texas. I have a feeling my wife and I will fall in love with Texas just due to the fact that we can afford to live there much more easily than elsewhere.

I am libertarian that leans more conservative so I am not too worried about the political scene...but I did not really like the extreme liberal nature of Seattle, my wife is conservative so I am sure we will both fit into Texas.

I am really hoping Fort Worth is not too humid, I didn't mind desert heat in california where I grew up but any time I visited family in arkansas and texas I just remember the humidity being unbearable for me.

I have been working in Richardson for almost nine years. It's one of the older (50s-70s) built up north Dallas suburbs. There is a wide mix of old and new houses and apartments. New ones are currently being shoehorned in wherever they can fit them. There's plenty of shopping and restaurants in the area and it's not too far at all from Dallas proper. Housing costs are out of my price range so I continue to live in Lewisville and commute. During the times I travel it's only about thirty minutes each way. That's pretty good for DFW area commutes given how bad the traffic can get and the high frequency of accidents along certain routes. 35E north of Dallas has improved very noticeably with the finishing of the 35Express project. I can't really tell you much about living here compared to other areas as most of my life and almost my entire adult life has been spent here. Other than the background scenery, it doesn't seem like suburban sprawl differs that much anywhere in the U.S.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I didn't realize the Austin Humidity either until I spent a couple weeks in Vegas and absolutely loved the dry heat.

It is absolutely correct that DFW builds real roads, and real highways.

Austin can't get that figured out for some reason.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back