Meals during EMERGENCY

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing people seem to overlook is the water heater. In most homes, that's 40-50 gallons of water that can be used in an emergency.

During the 1993 Clinton Inaugural Day Storm, we lost power for 9 days. We had this: a two burner camp stove that uses the screw on canisters. You can use it inside as it's no different than a regular gas stove. We had drinking water stocked. Food was canned chili and instant ramen noodle soup. Quick and easy. Uses minimal water. Easy to clean. Plus, it's cheap.

If you needed hot water to wash up in, the two burner stove will handle the larger pot better than that single burner. Safer too.

No one has mentioned SPAM yet?!?! lol

We're kinda "preperry", we have about 2 weeks of water, canned stuff, propane, gas, etc.

The best veggies to have stocked IMO are corn, as there's a LOT of emergency water in a can of corn.

We also keep our travel trailer stocked and ready to go at a moments notice.

It's scary how much others are NOT prepared at all. This conversation came up a couple years ago in the neighborhood and two different neighbors said "we know you're ready, so we'll just come to your house." I was in disbelief...

The beauty of the USA is that there are geographically different regions not even a half day drive from anywhere.

People in the islands are getting by quite well, limited by the resupply ships.

Water, sanitation, and phone are probably the three key items, really diesel fuel being second to water...

Anything else, you can survive a few days. Even isolated places a thousand miles from the mainland can do it. Many do have generators, but I think the biggest benefit is cisterns.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
If you pop the top off the soup can, and rip the label off, you can stick the can right on the burner. No need to dirty up a pan.

Years ago I worked in a guard tower at a prison for 12 hour shifts. No lunch break, no microwave, no fridge. They did have a coffee pot, and I used it as a hot plate to heat up a can of soup or my lunch on occasion.

The practice of heating in the can not so good idea anymore as they now coat the insides of the cans with plastic. I remember many cans on a fire while fishing in Canada in the 70's.
Fresh Walleye, can of cream corn and canned pie cherries for dessert

Agree on all counts...including fresh walleye and Canadian campfires.

I have a propane stove and water htr. Also a brand new grill. I just took delivery on a new carb for my old 5KW genset. I have a 100 watt inverter that runs the table radio. I can run about everything I need with the 5KW, including well pump, just not all at once. I also have a wood stove and about a 1/2 cord under cover. We could probably go a month on the canned goods and dry stuff. In 40 yrs, I've lost power for a week maybe 6 times. The latest utility , Eversource, has diligently upgraded the local grid since 2015. Nor'easters dropping a foot or 2 of slush are the usual culprits. As a native, I know where not buy a house too.
grin2.gif

I used to live on an island with a pop of 5,000, power from cables from the mainland. Power cuts were a part of life, and we were well set up. We were on rain water with a pump, so had water stored in 20 litre containers, LPG single burner, kero hurricane lamps, candles. So when there was a power cut everyone knew what to do - one step from the kitchen and lift the lamps from their hooks, by then the kids would've lit the candles...who ever was cooking would transfer over to the gas cooker. We never use processed food...why have a can of beans when you have beans ? Flour, rice, beans, sugar, salt, whatever, we have it all. We can make all our meals and bread too...although you need an oven for that.

Someone posted the question, is my friend and his family moving back to Katy? What the rain didn't get the looters took. They've already been notified that the house and other buildings are a total loss. Most of the neighborhood area is a total loss, too.

They're staying with us here in Southern California and have not made a firm decision yet. The answer I'd guess is probably no. The company he worked for in Houston does not exist, anymore.

Three acres of their land around the utility easement that runs across property is now contaminated with raw sewage and what's left of their home and shop/garage has to be removed. The lead time to get the lot prepared and the neighborhood cleaned up before construction can start has been estimated to be 12-18 months if not more after permits and other government paper work needed to clear the decontamination.

The post hurricane work is going to be overwhelming and there's no reason to think their area will begin clearing on any kind of schedule. He's got good insurance including flood coverage and will likely take a settlement and move on.

We put the kids in the local school and they're welcome here for as long as they need to get their life back on track. His wife is an excellent cook and my wife is enjoying stepping aside at meal time. I'm enjoying the stepping aside part, too.

for water buy a chlorione test bottle. Put a couple drops of clorox in a gallon of water. Then put a drop of the test solution to see if it turns yellow. As long as it turns yellow you are good to drink (generally) Now if there is a lot of bacteria in the gallon you may need to add a couple drops of clorox and retest.

I grew up in HTX. If I still lived there, I'd be prepped and ready. There it's often hot, humid, muggy. With no power, you're going to be sweating like crazy. That means you're going to be thirsty, fast.

Hopefully, you filled a bathtub or top loading washer beforehand. You also have some 5 gal. carboys full of water. That water would only be used for drinking.

With drinking water falling from the sky for days, it pays to collect & store it.

With flooded streets, it makes sense to me to collect and filter it for both potable and non-potable uses. Boiling it to purify it in such conditions makes no sense. I'd have multiple ways to filter water. After all, I'd be surrounded by it.

Got a 3 month supply (for one person, 6 weeks for two) of some freeze dried [censored] I bought from a survival gear joint few yrs ago, supposed to have a 25 yr shelf life unrefrigerated at room temp. Son and I tried some right after it came by UPS. Not very tasty but fills you up and checks the right nutritional boxes for the most part. Need a lot of water on hand to reconstitute it and a heat source to boil it up. It came in two big arse tupperware type storage tubs.

Would have to consume lots of water if eating only this stuff long term, as your turds would be suitable as sabot shells for the A-10 Warthog without.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

You are only hearing limited news reports. The people in the islands are not getting on very well when you have a chance to talk to locals from there.

There is a real break down in society with looting and other concerns. For example, this prison escape of 100 dangerous felons which I was first made aware of by a local of that vicinity:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/853902/...-storm-atlantic

Our well water is a bit salty so we use $0.50/gallon store brand spring water for coffee and tea and drinking. I always have a supply of 10-15.

Our stove top is propane so set there. We likely could go about a week without food supply. We have a 6800 watt generator that seems to burn about 1/2 gallon per hour as our loads are typically way smaller. I fill the 8 gallon tank before storm and have 10 gallons on hand. I live very close to a major NH truck stop with full power backup.

We also have a wood stove that can heat 1/2 home.

Lastly I run a $100 UPS to run my internet in home for about 6-7 hrs. So normally don't bother using generator.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

You are only hearing limited news reports. The people in the islands are not getting on very well when you have a chance to talk to locals from there.

There is a real break down in society with looting and other concerns. For example, this prison escape of 100 dangerous felons which I was first made aware of by a local of that vicinity:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/853902/...-storm-atlantic

Umm, I am there. Ive been in St Thomas since Monday...

best solution yet.
when i hunted and camped nearly every weekend i had a wire rack that hung on the trucks manifold to heat cans.
about 20 miles out from our destination i would ask the gang what they wanted for the meal and load the racks.
all hot and ready by the time we set up camp.
another trick is to put the cans in a pot of hot water. or even just set the cans in the coals of a campfire.if you have plastic spoons there is no cleanup.none of this is as light and shelf stable as an mre but much better quality.
and cheaper.
simply rotate stock.
restock with new dated stuff and move the older emergency reserves to the kitchen.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
If you pop the top off the soup can, and rip the label off, you can stick the can right on the burner. No need to dirty up a pan.

Years ago I worked in a guard tower at a prison for 12 hour shifts. No lunch break, no microwave, no fridge. They did have a coffee pot, and I used it as a hot plate to heat up a can of soup or my lunch on occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back