JB WELD FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!

LoL !!!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
JB WELD FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!

LoL !!!
laugh.gif

LOL Someone will probably buy it at auction, fix it with JB Weld and sell it. LOL

It will have a salvage title following it around. I'm sure a top notch welder/Corvette enthusiast will find a way to adequately fix that. Heck, we had code welders at work that could repair cracked 800 psi boiler tubes with water dripping out of them.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
It will have a salvage title following it around. I'm sure a top notch welder/Corvette enthusiast will find a way to adequately fix that. Heck, we had code welders at work that could repair cracked 800 psi boiler tubes with water dripping out of them.

It will have a salvage title, no doubt. But there's still money to be made there.

Someone will fix it right. It can't be impossible. So many shops don't want to touch stuff like that. I had a heck of a time even finding a shop to repair the frame and replace the floor pans on my 96 Cherokee. As soon as they hear "frame", they're out.

It could be legit. If that area is highly stressed the repair would have to be the same strength as before the damage, not stronger or weaker as it could change the way stress is concentrated.

That said,if it were me I'd be tempted to drill a hole at the and of the crack and weld a patch over it.

BSW

Check out the linked threads, if they are correct about the location it makes a lot more sense.

I’m sure it can (and will) be fixed, but when GM Engineering is on record as saying it can’t or shouldn’t, that is a lot of liability.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Someone will fix it right. It can't be impossible. So many shops don't want to touch stuff like that. I had a heck of a time even finding a shop to repair the frame and replace the floor pans on my 96 Cherokee. As soon as they hear "frame", they're out.

Cherokees don't have frames.

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
It could be legit. If that area is highly stressed the repair would have to be the same strength as before the damage, not stronger or weaker as it could change the way stress is concentrated.

That said,if it were me I'd be tempted to drill a hole at the and of the crack and weld a patch over it.

BSW

A good welder can do it-fortunately, I know a couple. (One of whom can weld aircraft-grade aluminum.) I'd consider the same fix, though he might actually weld up the crack instead.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
A good welder can do it-fortunately, I know a couple. (One of whom can weld aircraft-grade aluminum.) I'd consider the same fix, though he might actually weld up the crack instead.

A "good welder" probably knows that you can't just weld up modern cars willy-nilly. Having 5+ different types of steel plus aluminum is now normal for a grocery getter, and every panel will have a different repair procedure. Many structural panels simply require replacement for any amount of damage.

"On TV" I see them welding cracked frames for Ferrari, gassers, track cars, etc. Complete fames cut off and welded back on. these cars don't just sit in a showroom they get used. If they can do it, whats the big deal with this hairline fracture? If its a 8k fix and the car is work 30k, why is it totaled rather than repaired?

Were it me , I would buy the car back .

Grind the crack to prepare it for welding .

Remove the battery and maybe connect the battery cable clamps together .

Get the best welder I could find . Have him weld up the crack , grind it smooth & then weld a patch .

Then drive it , for ever or until it laid down and gave up the ghost .

Best wishes . :)

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I would drive that thing as a daily driver, as is. Its fine.

I'd drill each end of the crack, mig weld it in, grind it, and paint it over. I'd drive it and keep an eye on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back