iPhone X and other Apple Camaraderie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
People would rather spend 1K on a set of Michelin tires that will be more useless in 1/2 the time..... j/k.

And the phone doesn't dry rot!
smile.gif

My smart phone has totally or nearly eliminated my need for my home phone service, desktop PC, tablet, digital camera, BluRay player, CD player, MP3 player (and probably others.) So while $1,000 is steep, not buying all the other technology I used to changes how I see that money being spent.

We bought an Apple IIGS Woz edition in, I think 1989. Looks like they were $999.

Last edited:
Exactly, for me my $15.00 Track phone does all I need it to do which is to make and receive calls,it will not do apps, but it does have a camera which I have never used and a calculator which I have used a few times, also has a flashlight built in which is worthless for the most part,It has text which I rarely use. It stays charged for a week and no monthly bills just a $20.00 phone card about twice a year and since it is a triple minute phone a 60 min card is 180 minutes which is a lot of minutes for me as I do not like to talk on the phone much so I don't. Now my wife and HS senior daughter each have Samsung 7 phones that do all the fancy stuff, but they do e mail, text and facebook( which is another thing I refuse to have or facebook. We dumped our land line phone about 5-6 years ago because most of the calls we got on our Windstream land line phone were scammers. We ended up buying a call blocker. On cell phones it is very rare to get calls from phone scammers. I maybe get 2-3 scam calls a year where as on our land line our call blocker would fill up every 3-4 months and it could block 250 scam calls before deleting.and starting new. My wife had a few scammers call her cell but she uses an app that blocks scammers now. As more and more people dump their land lines for cell phones , these scammers are finding it much harder to scam people.

The issue we had with a landline , at least here in Lincoln NE with Windstream is that the phone scammers like to call land line phones. The credit card scams, the fake computer virus scams, the fake IRS scams,etc. The scammers rarely call cell phones and with a cell one can block them with a free app where as with a landline you have to buy a call blocker. We dumped land line a few years back and are a 100% cell family and very rarely get these dirtbag scam calls any more,maybe 3-4 calls per year where our land line probably had at least 3-5 scam calls every day.I suspect that the main reason people are dropping landlines is because they get tired of dealing with the phone crooks and scammers.Land lines are pretty cheap but the constant scam calls just make a land line not worth it.I know many people who have cable and a land line is included and they just never plug in their land line phone because of that. With cell phone scam calls are rare and easily blocked.

I was on fishing trip up near Sheridan WY last fall and some fisherman friends could get no signal with their fancy overpriced Verizon Apple I phones and Samsung S7.. while my $15.00 Track phone had full signal bars and i had to let them use my phone so that they could make their calls. Humbled them a bit when they asked me how much my phone cost and I replied "oh about $15.00.

Looks to be be an awesome device, but the price is out of line. Apple loves to do this and they've been doing it for years. They know people will pay up. This unit probably has a pretty high manufacturing cost too, though.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Interesting, but need to tighten the definitions used for profit and employees. Vastly different types of firms.

Net income -- $45 billion
Number of employees -- 80,000

Net income per employee -- $562k

Its like more of a status symbol. Kind of like luxury SUV's were a few years ago. Look at me I can buy a huge thirsty high end station wagon to go pick up the kids from school. Look at me I can blow a grand on a phone...that can be destroyed at a drop in an instant. Apple knows they could charge double and the lemmings will still come a running to buy it...
crackmeup2.gif

Meh, you can have it. You know what they say, A fool and his money....
43.gif

Well, the lemmings just have to have it.
I spent my life savings to get my wife her [censored] iPhone 7 plus rose gold 256gb with a stupid glittery liquid filled case and she's already asking about trading it for an 8 or X.
Yes I lost my cool after that. I tried hard but couldn't maintain.

Originally Posted By: car51
No thank you

Yup,I agree.

My 70$ BLU Advance 5.0 phone works just fine for me.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Can't afford that. Pass.

agree, most people cant and why they take out loans to have one, thats ok though, if it floats ones boat.
Me and my $99 Alcatel Idol 3 can still at least claim equal to superior sound when watching movies or listening to audio on any Iphone which is quite amazing, a $99 phone (actually less at the time vs. $600+ and it surfs the internet almost just as fast too and has superior battery life.

With that said I am NOT saying my phone is the equal to APPLE I am saying for me personally it works for me. I actually have two phones, work provided Iphone then upgraded to a new Moto G Force, through those two phones I still prefer my personal Alcatel Idol 3. Its a shame, I think just recently its been replaced and the replacement isnt as good.

Just replying to your conversation, to the apple lovers Im not knocking Apple, just understand if your a value buyer they do profit $300 + on every phone they sell.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Just replying to your conversation, to the apple lovers Im not knocking Apple, just understand if your a value buyer they do profit $300 + on every phone they sell.

Is that too much?

Originally Posted By: BJD78
I was on fishing trip up near Sheridan WY last fall and some fisherman friends could get no signal with their fancy overpriced Verizon Apple I phones and Samsung S7.. while my $15.00 Track phone had full signal bars and i had to let them use my phone so that they could make their calls. Humbled them a bit when they asked me how much my phone cost and I replied "oh about $15.00.

That was sheer luck. Generally the new towers going up are only LTE now and do not support the legacy flip phones and even "ancient" 3g smartphones. It makes no sense to support old stuff for them anymore as they run 10,000 lines over a LTE antenna while the legacy antenna only supported only 1000 connections. This is huge deal when a cell carrier is paying rent for the tower.

My mother in law insists on a flip phone but struggles with reception/losing calls at her home, my house, ski areas while my iPhone 7 has incredible reception and voice clarity.

Originally Posted By: maximus
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Is that too much?

Not if your willing to give it to them.

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
No thank you

Yup,I agree.

I am looking at one of these BLU phones. $50 new.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
No thank you

Yup,I agree.

I am looking at one of these BLU phones. $50 new.

Amazon was selling these for prime folks at great discount with a stuck screen saver advertising amazon products.

Amazon found out BLU put malware that was sending all usage habits of phone back to China without informing customer. They immediately dropped them and can only imagine the sting. They are cheap for a reason, they sell your usage habits!

I have an iPhone 7 for work and I just bought myself a Samsung Galaxy Note 8. I can tell you without a doubt between these two phones the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is a superb phone. I'm thoroughly impressed with it's features and performance.

The iPhone iOS seems to have gotten really buggy with nuances and requires frequent reboots to get it to act properly. I also hate iTunes so I guess that adds to it for me.

Just my $0.02 on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back