Oil Cooler on Harley Davidson

Status
Not open for further replies.
How efficient are these and wouldn't it be more efficient with a fan activated cooler instead of the no fan cooler as installed on 2018 Harleys ? Most of my riding will be non stop and go or heavy traffic.

Point of the fan is moving stagnant air. In motion you have air moving, no point of having a fan.

Harley has a unique way of dealing with heat related issues. A standard oil cooler works the same as a radiator in your car. When moving, air is directed across the fins and cools whatever fluid your trying to cool . Like Anti- freeze, trans fluid. Works the same way on a Harley for it's motor oil. Now a new stock Harley will give off alot of heat when run normally. The oil temperature is engineered to run in a certain range under normal use. If the motor gets too hot from slow or stop and go riding in hot areas, the rear cylinder will shut off, lessening the amount of heat felt by the rider.I'm guessing it was easier and cheaper to make that happen with the onboard computer, then to add a mechanical part to the bike. As long as your moving, air will pass over the oil cooler and remove heat.,,,

Add a 12" dual pass cooler.

Fastest way to drop 50 to 80°F from the oil...

My 18" dropped 280 down to 180. durring the 120° summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back