Leak from new radiator hose and new clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the ordinary, aftermarket hose clamps have been pretty much garbage, lately, though, too. Last year, I had to go through half a box of 24 to find one that would actually tighten, and not just skip, and this was the common name brand ones you find on the shelf, not some knock off picked up on eBay for $0.50 a box, either.

You bought those cheap junk hose clamps off the shelf at the auto parts store didn't you?

You need to go to an auto parts wholesaler and buy clamps there. That's where I buy them, just got some for my Jeep from Parts Authority. They come in a box of about 30 but you can buy them each for like $0.25.

Also, try moving the clamp either up or down the hose.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Ive had bad luck with screw clamps.
If you keep tightening the screw clamp be aware you can crack the plastic radiator. It might be worthwhile to check and make sure you didnt do just that.
Then while you have it open, and if its okay, slip on a gates powergrip clamp. They work like heatshrink tubing; you heat it to shrink it around the hose. When the car heats up they will adjust to the hose.
Measure the diameter of your hose and order the correct size.
http://www.gates.com/products/automotive...ing-chart-decal

I think these are only for silicone hoses, which are easily damaged by mechanical hose clamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back