Just took truck in for its second engine in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: VNTS
Why is OP stiffing his mechanic, not the mechanics fault the engine was junk, he shouldnt eat the 200$

Jasper is stiffing the mechanic not the OP as I understood it.

Exactly, the warranty on the engine only covers a limited dollar/hr amount. A Ford reman pays us the Ford warranty rate which for us is somewhere around $109/hr when our door rate is $140/hr.

Just got a phone call from the shop, letting me know that I get to pay for all new fluids, as that's yet another thing that Jasper refuses to cover, when one of their engines fails after only a couple thousand miles...

It just keeps getting better and better. Never did I imagine that it would be this bad.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Originally Posted By: andyd
What happened to the original motor?

Yeah?????

Well, we're not sure. Jasper would *not* allow the mechanic to drop the oil pan and examine the bottom end of the junk engine. That's where the knocking was coming from, but they didn't want anyone else looking at it.

I think they were asking about the truck's original engine. The one it left the GM factory with.

Must be left unanswered intentionally
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I think OP just wants to vent.

I think I'd want to vent if my replacement reman engine lasted only 2k miles.

So let him vent.

That's the nature of having such forums. You get first hand accounts of how companies do or don't stand behind their products.

Having to pay for oil is close to a wash since it already had mileage on it and you really wouldn't want oil from a bad engine.

The coolant is harder to swallow since you expect to get years and 10s of thousands of miles from your coolant.

Seems the shop is the one getting the real shaft here. They recommended Jasper, IIRC, and for doing so, they are getting paid less than their typical rates to R&R the bad Jasper supplied engine.

Do you think the shop will recommend their next customer go with Jasper?

Probably not.

wow that just stinks a big one. Sorry to hear how this all went.
Paying that much getting so little use I'd also expect them to make things right without you having to keep digging in the wallet.

All my vehicles have only had the original engine except for one truck I bought that had a Target-Master engine dropped in. Don't know what had happened to its original engine, but the gal had another dropped in and I bought it knowing that. I got a good deal on the truck and took my chance. Ended up selling the truck after putting nearly 300k on it and never a single engine issue although a few friends back then frowned about a Target-Master engine.

Sounds like Jasper = Patches
crazy.gif

That is really lame they won't cover fluids. Ford does on their remans. They pay for anything needed to properly perform the repair whether that be fluids, hardware, extra gaskets, its all part of the warranty. The only place it gets a little murky is consequential damage like an engine letting go and taking catalytic converters out. We have to submit those for approval.

Just got a phone call from the shop, letting me know that I get to pay for all new fluids, as that's yet another thing that Jasper refuses to cover, when one of their engines fails after only a couple thousand miles...

It's fairly reasonable for you to pay for fluids, I know Toyota's extended warranty(and probably true with the other OEMs) do make you pay for consumables with a few exceptions.

We haven't had an engine go out but we did have an AC compressor go out. While Toyota's extended warranty paid for labor and parts they did charge us for a new belt, but strangely enough refrigerant and compressor oil were covered.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nthach

It's fairly reasonable for you to pay for fluids, I know Toyota's extended warranty(and probably true with the other OEMs) do make you pay for consumables with a few exceptions.

We haven't had an engine go out but we did have an AC compressor go out. While Toyota's extended warranty paid for labor and parts they did charge us for a new belt, but strangely enough refrigerant and compressor oil were covered.

Ford and Mazda (who doesn't cover anything) pay for fluids under both regular, service part, and extended warranty. Now some of the fly-by-night Mickey Mouse warranty companies don't cover it.

The only engine I had to fail was a Chevy 6 cyl with 60K in about 1970. I did replace it with a Jasper short block that performed very well. With that said, if one of my Ford engines failed(Driving nothing but Fords since 1985)I would have a Ford re-man engine put in. Here is a video of the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eylhn22c7gw

Last edited:
All I see is that you had two perfectly good chances to equate Jasper with (never again) in your signature and totally missed them. Maybe the problem is with your attention to detail?

Try again and revise your signature and I'll reserve judgement for now...

While I understand the OP's frustrations, he seems to have some misunderstandings about warranties and labor coverage.
I have worked in the car dealership industry for 14 years.
In that time, I have NEVER seen a warranty that paid the full shop retail price, from GM, Ford, Nissan or aftermarket warranty or insurance companies.
In fact, the car manufacturers not only pay much less per hour, but the hours they pay the technicians to do a job are often less hours than a standard retail flat rate book. So not only is the shop getting less per hour, the mechanic is making less hours.
An example, an alternator job comes in on a pickup.
Customer pay, the part costs $200, the labor is 1.5 hours at $100. so $200 parts $150 labor = $350 total.
Warranty pay, dealer cost plus 25% on part so $150 for alternator, labor is 1.0 at $59.00 so parts and labor = $209

This is how it works with just about any manufacturers warranty, oem, or aftermarket or extended warranty.

Warranty is not about being a profit center for the shop, but to reimburse them at a rate that makes them whole. Fair or not, that's how it is!

That being said, with the low miles of the failure, it would be reasonable that they at least covered the fluids so you weren't out of pocket any money.
I've heard mixed things over the years about Jasper, but my uncle had a Jasper transmission installed in a Dodge pickup and it was trouble free, and a guy that lives nearby had a Chevy 350 engine from Jasper installed in his plow truck that is still running fine about 10 years later.

Originally Posted By: cronk
That being said, with the low miles of the failure, it would be reasonable that they at least covered the fluids so you weren't out of pocket any money.

WAY too much to ask from them. I tried, and was told "NO". The shop tried and was told "NO". It didn't matter at all that their junk engine failed after only 2,200 miles.

Since Jasper saw nothing unusual or special about this warranty claim, that suggests that they see lots of engine failures at this few of miles. And I'm not surprised by that at all.

Even if I would have paid another $160 for their scam service plan, they would have only paid out a measly $30 for fluids.

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
a machine shop i have done repairs for over 30 years cringes anytime they see jasper green.
the guy has seen 6 different piston sizes and 3 different bearing sizes in the same engine.
made no sense to me either unless they were building from a stockpile of surplus parts.
lets say a cyl has damage that takes 60 over to fix.the whole block should be 60 over.
not jasper at least the older ones.
many jasper blocks that came in were scrap and would have been scrap had they landed in his shop first.but jasper patched them up.
i can see doing this to save a matching numbers block but on a common 350 chevy of which millions are available?
crazy.
among those that know machinists they have the "avoid like the plague" tag.

I once saw aan engine witb two different cylinder heads. Also saw one with a piston backwards! (Fortunately, it had four valve notches.)

This wasn't Jasper, this was from the factory!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back