Source for 5 - 10ml of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some 99% pure or better Isopropyl Alcohol, but only about 10ml. It's to mix up a diluted bottle of Stabilant 22. I have a bottle of Stabilant 22 concentrate that I need to cut with the Isopropyl. The maker of Stabilant says to only cut it with 99% Isopropyl or pure Ethanol.

http://www.stabilant.com/sizes.html

You can buy large bottle of Isopropyl but they're like $25 and I'll never need more than the 10ml in forever.

What industries use 99% pure Isopropyl, so maybe I can go begging locally. Would a formulating Apothecary have the stuff?

Aside from that where could I find same amt of pure ethanol, short of building my own corn still and making moonshine?

I know. But 91% won't work, needs to be 99% or better. It's for diluting Stabilant 22 concentrate, as mentioned in the post. Stabilant is a proven electrical connection conduction enhancer. The Isopropyl serves as a carrier to get the stabilant 22 into the connection, then evaporates leaving only the stabilant 22.

Do you have a biodiesel shop(not station) or a homebrewing shop nearby? The biodiesel shop might have anhydrous IPA or methanol in droppers, the homebrewing shop might have IPA or pure ethanol as a test reagent.

Also, if you live in a state where 190-proof vodka is legal, you can buy Everclear or Crystal Clear. It won't go above 91-95% pure, all alcohols will form azeotropes with water.

A college chemistry lab or a college biology lab would probably have it. A research chem lab at a major hospital would have it.

In college biology we used pure alcohol to separate DNA from strawberries.

Last edited:
So do you need "Pure" ethanol or can you deal with denatured stuff (I believe they toss in some methanol to get it to full strength). If so, you'll trip over it at Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Walmart in the painting section.

I think for the intended purpose, having some methanol mixed it won't cause problems. It sounds like you just need an easily evaporating carrier solvent.

If you're doing what I think you're doing, personally I wouldn't dirk around with the factory electrical connectors on a brand new bike. I had some EFI bikes in my fleet that are going into over ten years. No problems and they get washed with water. Fixing things that work... Now there's an idea!

Denatured ethanol usually has bitterants added. Whether they promote corrosion is anyone's guess.

Good old fashioned dielectric grease never hurt anybody. Upgraded the panel service in my house and they used tons. I've used it successfully on wet connections. Although technically an insulator the contacts break through and the grease seals off the metal pins.

If you read on the internet everything will break unless you use product X. In reality you can put her away wet and use the cheapest oil and still do 100k miles.

The grocery stores and places like Walmart & Walgreen's use to sell 99% isopropyl alcohol, but I never see it anymore. Seems the 91% is as pure as you can get over the counter anymore. I just looked on Amazon and you can get it, but it's not cheap like it use to be in the local stores.

Last edited:
Would Deoxit do what you're trying to do with Stabilant?

Isopropyl 99% used to be sold as film cleaner. I got some for a B&W photo class, around the turn of the century, from a drugstore that had a full-on photography department. Theirs was packaged in cough syrup bottles, which they obviously filled from a larger container.

Maybe a pharmacy near you would stock it behind the counter, just not pre-packaged on the shelves. Otherwise, you might look around for a place that still sells film photography and darkroom supplies.

and if someone says they have some they bought a long time ago, and would you like some? etc...pass

the reason IPA has an expiration date, is because due to oxidation, it eventually turns into acetone.

Originally Posted By: DdDd
If you're doing what I think you're doing, personally I wouldn't dirk around with the factory electrical connectors on a brand new bike. I had some EFI bikes in my fleet that are going into over ten years. No problems and they get washed with water. Fixing things that work... Now there's an idea!

Denatured ethanol usually has bitterants added. Whether they promote corrosion is anyone's guess.

Good old fashioned dielectric grease never hurt anybody. Upgraded the panel service in my house and they used tons. I've used it successfully on wet connections. Although technically an insulator the contacts break through and the grease seals off the metal pins.

If you read on the internet everything will break unless you use product X. In reality you can put her away wet and use the cheapest oil and still do 100k miles.

Two older laptops I'm working on that I think will benefit from it, plus the HDMI connections for my OTA HD antenna. It is most used in A/V applications. Had the concentrate for a while, never did anything with it. Has an empty 10ml bottle to fill with the mixture, thought I might do that.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
Would Deoxit do what you're trying to do with Stabilant?

Isopropyl 99% used to be sold as film cleaner. I got some for a B&W photo class, around the turn of the century, from a drugstore that had a full-on photography department. Theirs was packaged in cough syrup bottles, which they obviously filled from a larger container.

Maybe a pharmacy near you would stock it behind the counter, just not pre-packaged on the shelves. Otherwise, you might look around for a place that still sells film photography and darkroom supplies.

I have Deoxit, in the pen style dispenser. I got the stabilant quite a while back as an upgrade from DeOxit but never really used it because I got the concentrate like a dumb arse instead of the pre-mix.

I believe Iso Heet gas line antifreeze is just 99% pure IPA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back