How may of you have...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...purchased a highly rated vehicle by test score/reliability from most of the auto PRESS. Then, get the vehicle home and give all of your family & friends a good test drive or even let folks drive the vehicle only to have people ask in a negatively way, "GEEZ, how much did you pay for this thing"?

I have done this several time in the past with certain "highly" rated vehicles(The GREAT NAMES of the automotive industry) only to have this question posed to me. I have purchased vehicles that were uncomfortable for my passengers(though the driver seat was OK), loud interiors, So-so ride comfort etc.

Then I have purchased the lesser reputable vehicles that fit my criteria in terms of quiet/comfort, good ride isolution etc. And people would ask in a positive way..."WOW, how much did you pay"?

There is a difference in the tone of the voices of people when they ask, "how much"?
It's either,
frown.gif
GEEZ, or
smile.gif
WOW!

Please comment!

CB

Last edited:
I only buy "unreliable" European "junk." I keep the paint shiny and people think I'm irresponsible with my money.

If I bought a $65k truck no one would bat an eye.

21.gif

My favorite is "best intial quality". A month after you start using it things start breaking and rattling like mad. Any car im looking at i will cruse the discussion forums for that generatin and only buy model that have been in oroduction for a while (never first gen).

You get the real scoop on chronic problems that way. Just dont get overwelmed wih the negativity, Every car has issues, you just looking for wide spread design flaws that you cant live with.

Just did that... sort of... but a motorcycle. Bought sight unseen, from 1500 miles away, no test drive of same model from closer dealerships, nothing. All based on internet research, reading, and watching reviews on Youtube. When asked about selling price, glad to tell "...oh about *half* what a BMW 1200GS lists for"

Couldn't have made a better choice, fits me great, everything I expected and more.

I buy what I want that fits my needs. I used to care what others thought about my vehicles, then I got married and discovered no one cares what you drive, and if they do, I don't particularly value their opinion. It's your money, your payment (I assume), your choice. I usually couldn't care less about the press ratings of vehicles. I go to the various forums/review boards of actual long-term owners to see how the vehicle has held up (both mechanical reliability and enjoyment/usability over time) and what to expect in the future with repairs and quirks.

That's also why I drive Hondas.
27.gif

People should refrain from "how much" unless they are a business associate etc. It used to be taboo.......
I have had jealous fools ask me, " What made you pick this color?"
I have a great car here that fits the bill perfectly and the drivers seat is the absolute worst. Like concrete and all wrong for your hamstrings and back. I thought it would break in as all seats do. No not this one. It is so bad and no one offers a drop in replacement so I may have to trade it in.

Honestly people should remember houses and cars require many $$$$ to own and any snide comments should not be voiced.

This is why I tend to gravitate toward Mazda vehicles. Oddly they get highly rated, but they deserve to be. I have yet to be totally disappointed by one as compared to the competition. I have been disappointed by one compared to its predecessor however. The mid 2000's mazda 3's kind of suck compared to the Protege before it. But the late model protege's were just an exemplary car albeit underpowered.

Had something similar happen to me. When I had my 2003 m5 and my 2004 GLI at the same time in 2012 everyone who I knew who didn't know about cars kept saying that my Volkswagen was way nicer and newer and and better than my bmw was. Even though the GLI had an MSRP of 23k and the m5 had an MSRP of 70k.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
...purchased a highly rated vehicle by test score/reliability from most of the auto PRESS. Then, get the vehicle home and give all of your family & friends a good test drive or even let folks drive the vehicle only to have people ask in a negatively way, "GEEZ, how much did you pay for this thing"?

Not exactly this scenario, but once I did purchase a car that was supposed to be the epitome of quality and reliability, only to find out first hand that it wasn't. Fit and finish turned out very poor, and the dealer network struggled to fix it.

It comes down to this:

-Most people know absolutely nothing about cars besides what they hear from the media or their friends
-Most of these auto testing groups are media-based, so they can be swayed to provide biased misinformation
-Everyone has different taste and requirements

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I only buy "unreliable" European "junk." I keep the paint shiny and people think I'm irresponsible with my money.

If I bought a $65k truck no one would bat an eye.

21.gif

If you bought an i3 the paint finish will look new, except for key marks from jealous people. Why will it look new? Is it BMW's new super-eco freak water based paint? No... it will always be in the garage getting repaired.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
If you bought an i3 the paint finish will look new, except for key marks from jealous people. Why will it look new? Is it BMW's new super-eco freak water based paint? No... it will always be in the garage getting repaired.

Literally what?

Take your misguided rant elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

Literally what?

Take your misguided rant elsewhere.

It thought it was funny... proving the whole theme of the thread. It's your money and your car and someone will always be there to tell you how much better theirs is or what a bad decision you've made. I'm all the time giving my friends with Subarus grief over checking their head gaskets for leaks. Then they counter with, "how much oil is that Honda burning?" Just typical car talk.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
This is why I tend to gravitate toward Mazda vehicles. Oddly they get highly rated, but they deserve to be. I have yet to be totally disappointed by one as compared to the competition. I have been disappointed by one compared to its predecessor however. The mid 2000's mazda 3's kind of suck compared to the Protege before it. But the late model protege's were just an exemplary car albeit underpowered.

I tell you what, more people have asked me about my Mazda 6 than any car ive ever had. Its a car no one thinks to buy but they all like it.

Automotive journalists don't drive or review cars the way people use them. They have a laundry list of "wants" that may not necessarily jive with consumer's actual needs. Some people don't ever floor the accelerator, for example. Others want storage space as a "top 3" need. Nor are reviewers asked to fill out a new car loan before they take a ride; it does matter, you know.

It's the same with anything, actually. Journalists choose what they would buy if they were buying, which they typically are not. They are rarely given base models to review, and even if they are, they option them out to their liking, driving up the price.

Reviews are a guide, nothing more. You still need to do your homework yourself.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Originally Posted By: mazdamonky

I tell you what, more people have asked me about my Mazda 6 than any car ive ever had. Its a car no one thinks to buy but they all like it.

The Mazda 6 is the most under appreciated car in the market. Unique styling, perfect balance of road manners, every day usable power, and luxury. If a coupe or sedan would work for me, I'd have a 6 in the garage. Unfortunately, my Forester does everything I need very well, perfect ergo's for my size, efficient, and low miles. My thrifty upbringing by Greatest Generation parents precludes me from selling or trading it as long as it still checks all the boxes.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
My thrifty upbringing by Greatest Generation parents precludes me from selling or trading it as long as it still checks all the boxes.

Great answer. I occasionally think of buying a new car but have 2 that meet my needs already. As Mr Money Mustache says, not wanting more stuff is the key to happiness (okay maybe I paraphrased him a little there.)

Every car model has its strengths and its weaknesses.
Most models will work pretty well in actual use whether of Japanese, American, German or Korean brands. Most will perform that all-important task of starting and taking you to work every morning reliably for many years and miles.
You have to consider what you value when you buy a new car and read between the lines of what you see in the buff books as well as the fanboy boards.
Of the six cars in my sig, we bought three new and three used.
Both groups were reasonable values at purchase and all have served us well thus far.
Bottom line is that you buy what you find to be the best vehicle for your intended use and you needn't worry about what anyone else might think, including CR, C&D and the car columnist in WSJ.

Car magazine review's and .90 will buy you a cup of coffee. Reliability, fuel economy, comfort, and ease of entering/exiting are my priorities. Most of these are not reviewed or commented on. I looked at the new Chevy Colorado as I like that size in a truck, and being the Motor Trend truck of the year, thought it was worth looking at. I found it difficult to enter. The roof line was too low and the sill plate was too high. Do your homework as best you can and buy whatever it is that blows your hair back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back