Generator shopping 10-12Kw considering Winco

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title states I'm shopping for a generator in the 10-12Kw range and currently at the top of my list is the Winco Tri Fuel HPS12000HE Linked here... for a standby generator for my house. I like that it uses a V twin Honda GX engine and although I don't currently have any gaseous fuel available I may look into installing a propane tank to have a reliable long term fuel supply. I want a generator that is overbuilt and reliable so far this seems to fit the bill. Generator will be housed in an enclosure that I will build next to my garage to keep it out of the weather and keep the sound levels manageable.

I'm certainly open to other options but the main reason I'm shopping for a generator of this size is to provide enough power to have AC in my house during extended power outages. This is the second year in a row that I've been without power for several days and I'm over it.

So guys tell me what else I should consider in a similar price range that will run my AC at my house as well as lights etc. not concerned about the electric range as I can use the microwave, water heater could also be powered by a 10-12Kw generator but obviously not at the same time as the AC but the water stays warm for at least a day so I can load share if needed to have cold air and hot water.

I'm not super excited about the Generac offerings in this size as the quality of their house built engines and generator heads seems to be hit and miss at best. I absolutely trust the GX630 Honda engine that the Winco uses.

Open to all opinions.

Is 10-12K enough to run your A/C (not sure what size your A/C is)? If memory serves, different fuels can produce different efficiency rates changing the required size of the generator. I looked at one a while back and I roughly calculated that I needed at least a 15K--I have a 3.5 ton A/C.

Having hot water when the temps are 8o plus is not much of a concern. A piece of black garden hose in the sun can make plenty.
Forgot what my friend got in Melbourne to power her home and well. I would say that a auto exercise feature is a must.

My AC is currently installed with a 35A breaker the nameplate Amperage is 21.8A not including the air handler unit. The Winco makes 45A continuous load so that should be sufficient to run the AC. Prior to purchasing I will verify with a clamp on ammeter to ensure the unit will do what I want.

The Generator is de-rated 10% on LP and 20% on NG. In all likelihood I will just run it on gasoline as I don't really want to add a propane tank to my property. But a propane tank would add an additional fuel source for long outages without having to get gas from the gas station which would be nice. But I'd really want about a 200-350 gallon tank to really make it worth my while for the bother and expense.

If I wanted to go gaseous fuel only I'd probably buy an actual whole house generator in an enclosure, which I may still do, I'm currently exploring cost options. I'd like to be all in for $5,000 or less and I'm not sure I can do that with a propane tank and a standby unit in the 15-20Kw range which is what I'd need to run EVERYTHING.

10K-12K will power a large window AC, refrig, TV and some fans. Maybe two small window AC.
It will not power hot water heater and central AC. You have to think thru how much fuel something like this will use for, as you say, an extended period.
My 6500 watt portable used 15 gallons a day if I run it 24 hours.

If you have a propane tank what are the codes for securing that?

Vermont, in Irene, lost a lot of propane tanks that bobbed down the flooded rivers. VT is a radically different terrain and building codes are all over the place, but still...

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
My AC is currently installed with a 35A breaker the nameplate Amperage is 21.8A not including the air handler unit. The Winco makes 45A continuous load so that should be sufficient to run the AC. Prior to purchasing I will verify with a clamp on ammeter to ensure the unit will do what I want.

You might be unpleasantly surprised by what your AC or any electric motor pulls on startup, research "locking rotor amps", they can be as much as 3x nameplate specs and a standard breaker will allow this very brief spike on grid power but would be a no go on a genset

Is there a soft start kit available for your AC? This would significantly reduce the starting load and may allow it with your Winco

To start a conventional A/C , the generator must be able to ride through the inrush current for the compressor .

Personally , I would look at the A/C name plate locked rotor amperage .

If you have a pretty new A/C using inverter technology for the compressor , a large part / most of this concern goes away .

How many rooms do you NEED to cool , as opposed to the whole house ?

Storing gasoline , especially gasohol , is not a trivial matter . And I am guessing , powering the whole house , is going to require more gasoline than you may think ? How many 5 gallon gas cans will you REALLY need ?

That is another thing about propane / butane fuel , sealed system . Much fewer problems with fuel storage or contamination .

Same with natural gas , but it is not unheard of , having the natural gas turned off by the utility . In times of natural disaster , to help prevent fire / explosions . We have a customer that found this out , after some earlier hurricanes .

I think you will find a diesel generator to be more fuel efficient , but , maybe at a higher capital cost . And diesel has fuel storage issues , just not as bad as gasoline or E10 .

And , will you be diligent enough to do the required preventive maintenance . Will you exercise it , maybe once a month ? Requires a personal commitment . A generator that will not start & run , when needed , was just a money pit .

Do not get me wrong , I would love to have a backup generator system . Just more $$$$ than I can do .

Best wishes , :)
Wire

Take a look at Champion Power Equipment, they have been building up a stellar reputation in the RV community.
I own a 4000w for a home backup and a 2000w inverter for camping, have nothing but good things to say about them.

They make one with the wattage you are looking for but not multi fuel.
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Eq...pment+generator

They also got into the home standby unit market a few years ago
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Eq...pment+generator

(this is just one model, they make several)

They engines in the Champion units are a made in China, Honda clone, but don't let that scare you, they are good quality.
Many on the Rv forums have many hours on them with no issues.

Champion also has great customer service, had to order an air cleaner cover to replace one that got lost, part price was cheap, and shipped from their warehouse in California, had it in a few days.

I just purchased a Winco 12,000 used with less than 5 hours run time. I also have a Winco 9000 but wanted the larger 12,000 watt to run my central AC.

I ran 3 1/2 ton central ac and other appliances in the house on 2 separate test with no problem. The Winco at the time was also running off natural gas being fed by a 3/4" gas hose. The machine barely bogged down when central AC kicked on and if running off regular gasoline you will have no problem.

I also installed a 50amp outlet on side of house and have a 50 amp breaker at the panel.

Last edited:
Have you considered buying a window AC unit to downsize the generator.

Fueling that beast may be an issue as these large inefficient generators have a voracious appetite for fuel that is not fun to get.

Diesel is the only way to go. Living off of one now in a real calamity.

Or else I'd manage my load so well that I could get by on a quiet Honda inverter generator. You'd be surprised what is actually important after a severe weather event, and it's not AC. Fueling logistics is most critical....

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Is 10-12K enough to run your A/C (not sure what size your A/C is)? If memory serves, different fuels can produce different efficiency rates changing the required size of the generator. I looked at one a while back and I roughly calculated that I needed at least a 15K--I have a 3.5 ton A/C.

My brother has a goodman 4 ton all in one unit. I installed a 5-2-1 hard start cap in the system and his 7kW Predator generator can start and run the AC no problem. The starting current is the problem. Running it pulls 4500W or so. Adding the hard start cap for $50 let him save about $900 not having to get the 11kW generator.

The 7kW was enough to run 2 fridges, a couple ceiling fans, his well and AC. We cut the AC off to turn on hot water, and that worked great. It's not enough to run AC and water heater at the same time but that's not the point. The point was and is to keep the fridges cold, and run the AC enough to control humidity. I think he had it set on 79.

The generator is tied in using the 240V 4 prong twist-lock connector. I built him a cable and we cut the main 200 amp off and used the 50amp breaker for the heater strips to tie into the house. An interlock device is in the works but for now this worked great

Last edited:
I'm shopping for a generator of this size is to provide enough power to have AC in my house during extended power outages.

What is the LRA figure (locked rotor amperage) on your outdoor A/C unit? Any generator having 70% of that capacity should easily start it, with 50% of that capacity being a reasonable red line that you should not cross.

Last edited:
This is not in the power range you are looking at but it is what I am looking at now https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-3...amp;psc=1.....I was blessed not to lose power during Irma but I was fearful I was going to and I have learned my lesson that I want a generator....I know people that still do not have power.....having enough power to run a fan.....a portable ac....some lights ....fridge....tv and wifi would be good enough for me. Plus its quiet and I could take it camping with me.

Last edited:
I'm certainly open to other options but the main reason I'm shopping for a generator of this size is to provide enough power to have AC in my house during extended power outages.

If you noticed my post on running a Honda EM7000is when IRMA hit on Sunday, it runs the entire house, including 3 heat pumps, pool pumps, 3 refrigerators, router, modem, cable box, Sinewave UPS backups, LED lights, garage door opener and much more..

The key is having all DC 240 volt motors (Direct current can run motor, compressor, blower at any speed) on all the important systems. If I run full winter chill mode, I can cool entire house in 15 minutes down below 19 C and NOT exceed 3kw on the generator.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Diesel is the only way to go. Living off of one now in a real calamity.

Or else I'd manage my load so well that I could get by on a quiet Honda inverter generator. You'd be surprised what is actually important after a severe weather event, and it's not AC. Fueling logistics is most critical....

Diesel cannot be stored for extended periods as the fuel goes bad. Propane has no shelf life. When I designed sewer pumping stations diesel was only picked if pump motors sizing required it. Propane and natural gas were favored but there is a limit in power they deliver but likely way more then most homes need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back