Not everything was slow in the 80's...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i vividly remember the cover of CycleWorld and PeeWee Gleason ripping a new WR on the v65 magna
then the v65 sabre
then the gs1100 katana
and the vmax
and
and
and
his ability and size gave him an advantage that us over a buck-o-five can never hit.
but progress has marched on
now the 600s can easily top what those 1100 were doing
the new zx/gs/rz/cbr all are insanely quick and fast
to the point of there probably should be ability tests to buy one

Last edited:
'I bought a Kawasaki ZX-11 in 1990, which was the first production bike with a "ram air" intake system'

IIRC the Yamaha Vmax had the "ram air" scoop when it debuted in 1985. Whether it was effective or not IDK, but it sure looked cool.

My 4-cylinder '83 KZ750 seems quite slow.....but then again, that might have more to do with the rider than anything else
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: sunruh
i vividly remember the cover of CycleWorld and PeeWee Gleason ripping a new WR on the v65 magna
then the v65 sabre
then the gs1100 katana
and the vmax
and
and
and
his ability and size gave him an advantage that us over a buck-o-five can never hit.

I have all the different magazines from that era: Cycle, Cycle World, Cycle Guide. I was a bit obsessed. Still am.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: gman2304
'I bought a Kawasaki ZX-11 in 1990, which was the first production bike with a "ram air" intake system'

IIRC the Yamaha Vmax had the "ram air" scoop when it debuted in 1985. Whether it was effective or not IDK, but it sure looked cool.

The Vmax had fake air scoops. In reality, that is where the horns were hidden.

What the Vmax did have, was called V-boost. It was a connection between two carbs that opened above a certain RPM, so that each cylinder received the air/fuel mixture from two carbs.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: gman2304

The Vmax had fake air scoops. In reality, that is where the horns were hidden.

What the Vmax did have, was called V-boost. It was a connection between two carbs that opened above a certain RPM, so that each cylinder received the air/fuel mixture from two carbs.

Correct. Those ram air scoops are fully functional on the Gen 2 V-Max...

I've had a lot of the bikes mentioned here...'73 Z1 900, '79 CBX, '83 V-65 Magna, and an '89 V-Max...all were fast in their day, but are slow compared to many of today's bikes...

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I bought a Kawasaki ZX-11 in 1990, which was the first production bike with a "ram air" intake system. Think the top end was around 175 mph and 1/4 mile in the mid 10 seconds. That bike was a big leap from any road bike I had before that.

The bottom of the side fairings were all scrapped up from really leaning in the tight corners.

A friend bought a used one of those last year and I got to ride it, was amazed at home comfortable it was... a real (fast) gentleman's tourer, proof you can be fast and comfortable... can only imagine what a new ZX-14 must feel like (or the Concours 14 for that matter).....

The Concours 1400 is a rocketship...unfortunately, it is also very heavy. (And the requred PM is a real bear.)

then the v65 sabre
then the gs1100 katana
and the vmax
and
and
and
I know that's right. Had a 1984 V65 Sabre. 2002 FZ1 now.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The Concours 1400 is a rocketship...unfortunately, it is also very heavy. (And the requred PM is a real bear.)

Agree completely. Kawasaki missed the mark on that one.
The Yamaha FJR is nicer in so many ways for sport tour.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
then the v65 sabre
then the gs1100 katana
and the vmax
and
and
and

I have all the different magazines from that era: Cycle, Cycle World, Cycle Guide. I was a bit obsessed. Still am.
grin.gif

to say i am still obsessed is also an understatement!
wink.gif

I have an '80 XS850 Yamaha Triple... it's PLENTY fast enough for me; about 90hp. Honestly, for tooling around town and zipping up and down roads, my pre-gen Ninja 250 is "adequate". Anything newer and faster... it's more bike than I can handle, I'm sure. Most riders can't push their bikes to the limit as it is, so no sense in me buying one that can out-ride my own skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back