2017 Ford F-150 2.7 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the UOA from my wife's 2017 F-150 2.7 Ecoboost. This was a dealer oil change done theoretically with Motorcraft 5W-30. 1,331 miles on oil. 3,281 miles on vehicle.

Please ignore the Unit/Location averages in the first section. These are not correct.

Last edited:
I am in the camp that subscribes to early OCs to dump wear metals from break-in so no complaints from me on that. What is up with the viscosity? Are you sure it was 5W-30?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I am in the camp that subscribes to early OCs to dump wear metals from break-in so no complaints from me on that. What is up with the viscosity? Are you sure it was 5W-30?

That is the question, friendo. I don't know. The samples from both our trucks showed viscosity about the same (out of grade). So, I don't know if they put 5W-20 in, or it was 5W-30 sheared down. I will be getting results back from the 2016 today for an oil change with about 2800 miles on it. This is M1 EP 5W-30 that I put in myself
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Why have you done 2 oil changes with 3200 miles on the truck?

This is BITOG....money is flushed on here needlessly-that's why. That truck won't last longer than an owner following the factory recommended OCI.

The filters catches anything "left over" from the assembly.

Originally Posted By: CKN

This is BITOG....money is flushed on here needlessly-that's why. That truck won't last longer than an owner following the factory recommended OCI.

And how do you know that?

If that's really 5w-30 there's a ton of fuel dilution in the sump. And if that's the case anything resembling an extended drain interval isn't exactly "flushing money"...

Originally Posted By: Danh

If that's really 5w-30 there's a ton of fuel dilution in the sump. And if that's the case anything resembling an extended drain interval isn't exactly "flushing money"...

Even if it is 5W-20, over at PQIA, the visco of the virgin is 8.54, which means it is shearing/diluting pretty fast. This upcoming M1 EP sample is going to be the one I am really interested in. Unfortunately, it is 2800 miles of highway roadtrip (80-85 mph), mostly, rather than the combination of city/highway in these UOA's. Still, it should give an indicator of shear/dilution.

That is most certainly not true. We've found that our Ford vehicles last longer with more frequent OCI's and in particular, higher viscosity. With modular engines lasting over 900K miles using 10W-40 and 5K oci's.

That is a 5W-20 oil. Castrol and Valvoline syn oils gives better results on these engines.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

That is most certainly not true. We've found that our Ford vehicles last longer with more frequent OCI's and in particular, higher viscosity. With modular engines lasting over 900K miles using 10W-40 and 5K oci's.
I would tend to agree.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Even if it is 5W-20, over at PQIA, the visco of the virgin is 8.54, which means it is shearing/diluting pretty fast. This upcoming M1 EP sample is going to be the one I am really interested in. Unfortunately, it is 2800 miles of highway roadtrip (80-85 mph), mostly, rather than the combination of city/highway in these UOA's. Still, it should give an indicator of shear/dilution.
You may want to try another lab if you suspect fuel dilution. Unless something has changed at Blackstone, they cannot accurately measure fuel levels.

You may want to try another lab if you suspect fuel dilution. Unless something has changed at Blackstone, they cannot accurately measure fuel levels.
Not discounting what you say(thanks!). However, it really doesn't matter if it is dilution or shearing. Either is typical of these engines, and in the end is essentially the same thing. A lowering of viscosity. You could make a point about gasoline being a poor lubricant
smile.gif

Last edited:
Not discounting what you say(thanks!). However, it really doesn't matter if it is dilution or shearing. Either is typical of these engines, and in the end is essentially the same thing. A lowering of viscosity. You could make a point about gasoline being a poor lubricant
smile.gif

True, but I would want to know what is causing it. DI engines are known for dilution, but there could be something causing it to be higher than it should. There is nothing you can do to "fix" dilution other than shortening the OCI. You can try to compensate for shearing by increasing the viscosity, hence the reason I would want to know what the root cause of the lower viscosity was and make an informed decision from there.

smile.gif

True, but I would want to know what is causing it. DI engines are known for dilution, but there could be something causing it to be higher than it should. There is nothing you can do to "fix" dilution other than shortening the OCI. You can try to compensate for shearing by increasing the viscosity, hence the reason I would want to know what the root cause of the lower viscosity was and make an informed decision from there.

If this were a single vehicle, with an engine of no history of this, yes. This is two virtually identical vehicles, that have an engine (2.7), a TGDI with a reputation. That is what is cool. I can track two engines simultaneously.
And I am going to "fix" the dilution with shortened OCI's. I am doing these UOA's, to see how short I am comfortable with.

Originally Posted By: CT8

I have a 2015 and I really enjoy the 2.7

Yes, it is actually very enjoyable, performance wise.And, as long as they don't have the bad valve guides
sick.gif
, I am going to make sure they last a long time.

While fuel dilution is discussed here with great enthusiasm there is nothing to indicate that it affects engine life materially.

Since everyone else is off topic here's my bit on early changes. There was a time when they seemed like a good idea. Still do to many. Yet our LS based truck engines, both 6.0 and 5.3 can run to half a million miles and do thousands of hours of stationary operation, hauling a 9000+ pound load in Florida climate with the oil changed strictly by the OLM.

Maybe those fords have a bad OLM or it needs reprogramming. GM had issues with engines needing shorter intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back