Did KIA use 100% antifreeze from the factory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tested the factory coolant just for fun with a Prestone tester. Instead of getting 50/50 the needle pegged all the way to the top. From what I know this stuff is just regular antifreeze, not anything special. Would this affect anything and is this something that I would take up with the dealer?

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
A factory fill MIGHT not be 100% coolant, it SHOULD be diluted.

I would discuss with your dealer.

Fixed it for you....some weird stuff from the factory I wouldn't be surprised.

I agree that these testers aren't very accurate, but from the factory it should be 50/50 no? Its an ethylene glycol tester; the ones that have a big needle inside. I've tested it on a premixed 50/50 and its right at the 50% mark. I've also tested it on pure coolant and the needle floats right up.

Before having a dealer chat, check it against at least one other AF tester. I've used the inexpensive Chaslyn 5 ball AF tester and found it pretty accurate comparing to new Honda Type2 premix.

Doubtful it's more than a 50% AF concentration.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boom10ful
I just tested the factory coolant just for fun with a Prestone tester. Instead of getting 50/50 the needle pegged all the way to the top. From what I know this stuff is just regular antifreeze, not anything special. Would this affect anything and is this something that I would take up with the dealer?

Is it the green stuff? I ask because I did a coolant change on a friend's Kia recently and the OEM stuff was the darkest green I have ever seen. It almost looked like it was NOT diluted.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: benjamming
Are you using a tester or ethylene glycol or propylene glycol?

This. There are two types of coolant.

Sure. But are you saying the OEM KIA fluid is propylene glycol based? The MSDS says ethylene glycol.

I agree that these testers aren't very accurate, but from the factory it should be 50/50 no? Its an ethylene glycol tester; the ones that have a big needle inside. I've tested it on a premixed 50/50 and its right at the 50% mark. I've also tested it on pure coolant and the needle floats right up.

I don't know what the factory puts in for concentration, on my Toyota vehicles they recommend a 60% mixture and allow up to 70%. It's not a matter of accuracy (the tester should be fairly accurate) it is a matter of the upper range.

You could try mixing water with some of the coolant and see what that does to the measured concentration.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
A factory fill MIGHT not be 100% coolant, it SHOULD be diluted.

I would discuss with your dealer.

Fixed it for you....some weird stuff from the factory I wouldn't be surprised.

Thanks KUATO
thumbsup2.gif

Could you describe further? I didn't realize there were any applications where 100% coolant would be advantagous.

Thanks for insight.

I would think factory fill would be closer to 60/40. 50/50 isn't good enough for the extreme cold of say Canada.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I would think factory fill would be closer to 60/40. 50/50 isn't good enough for the extreme cold of say Canada.

Sure it is. Our factory coolant comes premixed 50/50.

I'll buy another tester(probably the ball tester) and see what it says. They're sold at Walmart for pennies. I'll update tomorrow.

So what temp is that good for? And what do you do at -40F?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Is it the green stuff? I ask because I did a coolant change on a friend's Kia recently and the OEM stuff was the darkest green I have ever seen. It almost looked like it was NOT diluted.

Yeah its the dark green stuff. I thought it was the darkest I've seen until I changed out my daily drivers antifreeze with Pentofrost A2. Now that stuff is a darker shade of green!

So what temp is that good for? And what do you do at -40F?

that's what block heaters are for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back