2016 Honda Civic 1.5T TGDI..DILUTED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
It's an interesting subject. I have the CR-V on my list of crossovers for purchase this fall. The fuel dilution thing is worrisome but it has probably the best interior of all the choices out there imo. I could see colder weather aggravating the problem if the owner idles longer to warm up the car. In my experience I idle long enough to scrape the glass and that's it I take it easy for the first few miles if the temps are colder than usual. Seattle gets into the 20s on occasion but the outer region can see single digits or sometimes lower though that is rare. Still, it's not the upper Midwest for example.

Some have reported good results running a higher octane gasoline. The higher cost would be the big turnoff with that but it's something to try. Lastly, some here have speculated that since wear numbers did not increase, the issue is not as dangerous as we might think. Better oils? The answer is out there somewhere.

If I were buying I'd look elsewhere. That said, there are two positives for you to consider (in additive to the car itself):

1) The used oil analysis labs are likely to adopt a less-hysterical approach to fuel dilution, only calling it out as an issue is wear metals are high. This is simply accepting the realities of DI/TGDI engines but may allow some to sleep better at night.

2) If the Honda 1.5T fuel dilution issue is a real problem that impacts durability on a large portion of examples, Honda will have to do something to remedy the problem or risk the trashing of its reputation. Given the 1.5T will be the primary engine in the Civic, CRV and, in 2018, the Accord, with nearly a million or so examples pumped out each year in the U.S. alone, Honda really has to get it right.

yep, warmer late April, May and so far June the level has been close to stable..not sure if it's still diluting but the level has stablized..still on the M1 0/40, 640:1 TC-W3, E091.

WA. is nothing like winter here, this engine thrives in the warmth...most of my miles recently are on the I at 75-80 with the air on.

these engines are under constant high pressure so I imagine starting and warming in temps 60-100F cooler every day for six months would get pressure around stone cold contracted rings and that's the TGDI rub, frigid cold starts and warm up...I have a plan to deal with it... otherwise I'm pretty happy with all the basics and decent sporty look, power when asked then eco when asked..all good but I still need that go to larger vehicle and with a hitch.

not real practical if your DD going to work, lunch, shop in -20F not going to happen for most...my draw 1.5 qt. and replace with 1 qt. when it exceeds the dipstick mark is quick and easy and I'll bet it works out fine.

doing a couple 8k OCI's prior to handing it over for the dealer to trouble shoot the cold weather dilution issue..I'll run a UOA on the second 0/40 Edge but between the fuel and this lube it really sounds sweet.

This is why you never buy the first year of any model.
frown.gif

Sad thing is that these engines will probably last beyond the factory 5yr warranty before failing, even when running on the recommended 0w20.

Unfortunately, this vehicle has had some glitches which first year models do have. Also there is a recall for something involving the fuel lines that has recently been reported.

To dblshock, have you considered running Pennzoil Euro Platinum 5w-30? That has some good certifications that may help with the turbo etc. How it would handle the fuel dilution I don't know.

Going to a higher viscosity is a bad idea. Using an oil that can address your issues is the better solution. I would have flagged your nitration, something is amiss here with your engine and not Honda. Your combustion efficiency is low, it looks like you're still breaking in somewhat. How did you seat this engine?

you need more tests than they are giving you.

Last edited:
colder mornings have arrived and sure enough the oil level was 1/8" over the upper mark again so I drew one qt. and replaced it with .5qt bringing the level to 3/4 full...I'll keep this up through December then run a UOA on the Mobil1 0/40...I'm right about 4,100 mi. since 7/13/17 OCI...otherwise runs better than ever.

What's interesting about this whole thing to me is the fact that most people that buy these civics are not BITOG members. They've never thought more about oil than when they've been asked if they want to pay more for synthetic at jiffy lube. They will never get a UOA or stray from the recommended viscosity. This is common on all cars we consider to be "hard on oil" or "fuel diluters". Yet these people seem to get by just fine with their vehicles. I haven't heard of any mass exodus of engines due to oil. Makes me wonder if this whole worry about oil thing is really worth it in the long run... Well time to go back to spending hours deciding what oil to run in my new car!

Originally Posted by OldSparks
Thank you for posting! I was having a hard time deciding between the LX and EX coupe, but not so much now...

Have you head of the 2.0 engines having the same issue? I seem to only be seeing the 1.5T engines affected. Also would like to buy the EX, as I like the look of the car.

Originally Posted by razz88
Oil dilution only affects the 1.5L turbo engines, correct? Considering the 2016 2.0L EX civic, thoughts?

No issues with the 2.0 L AFAIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back