2016 FLHTK, 7,600 Miles, Amsoil 20w-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miles on oil 7,600
Miles on unit 8,600
Sample Date 9/5/17
Makeup oil 0
Oil and Filter both Amsoil - 20w-50 MC V-twin oil.

Silicon improved in this sample, as we expected it to. Copper increased just a little (68 vs. 66), and that wasn't quite the expected trend, though we're content to hold off calling it a problem for now. Most of this Copper is lingering wear-in, and it should wash out before too long. Other metals already look good, so this Harley is off to a fine start for the most part. The viscosity was a little thick, but we tend to see that quite a bit with Harleys, and we don't see it as a problem. The TBN was nice and strong at 4.9. Try 8,500 miles and we'll see how the Copper looks.

Aluminum 5
Chromium 1
Iron 17
Copper 68
Lead 2
Tin 1
Molybdenum 66
Nickel 0
Manganese 3
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 2
Boron 43
Silicon 17
Sodium 9
Calcium 2876
Magnesium 152
Phosphorous 991
Zinc 1246
Barium 1

SUS Viscosity at 210F 109.9
cst Viscosity at 100F 22.6
Flashpoint 405F
TBN 4.9
Water 0.0
Insolubles 0.2

First oil change was @ 1000 miles. I rode this to Sturgis, about 4,600 miles to end the OCI. I'm going to stick to no more than 5k from here on out. I only got 2 quarts out, and I suppose it will hold another 1/2 quart between the filter and crevices, but it only holds 3.5, so it must have consumed at least a quart in those 7600 miles (not horrible), but the dipstick never said to add a quart, and I checked it every day I was out to Sturgis. The Manual says not to add until you get to "add 1 quart". It seemed SO thick when I drained it, which was on an 85 degree day, and I had ridden it 2 hours, but let it sit for 2 hours. Shifted fine (for what that's worth in a Harley) the whole OCI, and no signs of it getting any hotter than normal.

While in Sturgis, I had a V&H Header and Pipe installed, and it has an FP3 tuner, on since about 3k.

In: Maxima Synthetic 20w50 V-Twin Full Synthetic, Baldwin B1413 Filter.

Lol 8500 miles. What do they think this is a Toyota?

I change once a year or however many miles the manual says. Whichever comes first. With more than one bike it's once a year.

That's a LOT of highway riding to put on what is essentially a brand new bike isn't it? If there was oil loss then I would chalk it up to the engine not being fully broken in yet.

Doesn't the oil cooler hold ~1/2 quart? That might explain some of the missing oil, along with the filter which you mentioned. The rest probably didn't drain out, which is common in these engines. I doubt you used much if any oil. Same oil in primary and trans?

My manual says to check the oil hot, after bike has sat 5 minutes for an accurate reading. Only getting 2 qts out of a 3.5 qt sump doesn't sound right to me. Could letting it cool down for 2hours before draining have an effect on not getting more oil out of the pan? I drain mine after sitting for about 10 minutes when changing the oil. There is some oil left in a Harley after draining, but 1.5 qts seems like quite a lot. Why did you decide to go to the Maxima for this run over the Amsoil?

Originally Posted By: gman2304
My manual says to check the oil hot, after bike has sat 5 minutes for an accurate reading. Only getting 2 qts out of a 3.5 qt sump doesn't sound right to me. Could letting it cool down for 2hours before draining have an effect on not getting more oil out of the pan? I drain mine after sitting for about 10 minutes when changing the oil. There is some oil left in a Harley after draining, but 1.5 qts seems like quite a lot. Why did you decide to go to the Maxima for this run over the Amsoil?

Just found a good deal on the Maxima. I don't plan on riding the Harley a whole bunch, not long distance anyway. No more trips to Sturgis for me, and any other long trips will be on the Goldwing. Just no need to try and do long OCIs on the Harley.

Originally Posted By: GRIMland
Doesn't the oil cooler hold ~1/2 quart? That might explain some of the missing oil, along with the filter which you mentioned. The rest probably didn't drain out, which is common in these engines. I doubt you used much if any oil. Same oil in primary and trans?

I used tranny and Primary specified oils, though I know you can run engine oil in all 3.

The wear metals should start dropping.

Nice upgrades, really cools things off and gives it a little more pep.

Will you be doing a UOA on Maxima?

I agree with gman on only getting 2 quarts on drain. Did you drain from plug with o-ring and magnet?

Originally Posted By: nocarb

I agree with gman on only getting 2 quarts on drain. Did you drain from plug with o-ring and magnet?

I used the right drain, trust me. Way different bike with the mods, should have come like this.

Originally Posted By: nocarb

Yes, I will likely UOA the Maxima. The only time I usually don't do an analysis, is if I know the miles are very very low for the oci, or if I had an oil burner that I was constantly adding oil to.

Originally Posted By: montero1

I used the right drain, trust me. Way different bike with the mods, should have come like this.

I agree would save us all a bunch of money.

Yes, I will likely UOA the Maxima. The only time I usually don't do an analysis, is if I know the miles are very very low for the oci, or if I had an oil burner that I was constantly adding oil to.

Great, I have mostly used Amsoil interested in different oil UOA.

if that were an M-8 i would say check the primary as some of those engines are "transferring" oil into it + HD has yet no solution, but they did change oil pump #'s so assuming they have updated pumps they are using on their warranty issues!!

Miles on oil 7,600
Miles on unit 8,600
Sample Date 9/5/17
Makeup oil 0
Oil and Filter both Amsoil - 20w-50 MC V-twin oil.

Silicon improved in this sample, as we expected it to. Copper increased just a little (68 vs. 66), and that wasn't quite the expected trend, though we're content to hold off calling it a problem for now. Most of this Copper is lingering wear-in, and it should wash out before too long. Other metals already look good, so this Harley is off to a fine start for the most part. The viscosity was a little thick, but we tend to see that quite a bit with Harleys, and we don't see it as a problem. The TBN was nice and strong at 4.9. Try 8,500 miles and we'll see how the Copper looks.

Aluminum 5
Chromium 1
Iron 17
Copper 68
Lead 2
Tin 1
Molybdenum 66
Nickel 0
Manganese 3
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 2
Boron 43
Silicon 17
Sodium 9
Calcium 2876
Magnesium 152
Phosphorous 991
Zinc 1246
Barium 1

SUS Viscosity at 210F 109.9
cst Viscosity at 100F 22.6
Flashpoint 405F
TBN 4.9
Water 0.0
Insolubles 0.2

First oil change was @ 1000 miles. I rode this to Sturgis, about 4,600 miles to end the OCI. I'm going to stick to no more than 5k from here on out. I only got 2 quarts out, and I suppose it will hold another 1/2 quart between the filter and crevices, but it only holds 3.5, so it must have consumed at least a quart in those 7600 miles (not horrible), but the dipstick never said to add a quart, and I checked it every day I was out to Sturgis. The Manual says not to add until you get to "add 1 quart". It seemed SO thick when I drained it, which was on an 85 degree day, and I had ridden it 2 hours, but let it sit for 2 hours. Shifted fine (for what that's worth in a Harley) the whole OCI, and no signs of it getting any hotter than normal.

While in Sturgis, I had a V&H Header and Pipe installed, and it has an FP3 tuner, on since about 3k.

In: Maxima Synthetic 20w50 V-Twin Full Synthetic, Baldwin B1413 Filter.

This is my 2016 Harley Ultra Limited:

Engine has a Vance & Hines FP3 tuner, Vance & Hines Powerdual header, Rinehart mufflers and a Arlen Ness Big Sucker stage one intake.

Oil Type & Grade: Redline 20w-50 motorcycle oil

Comments: Wear metals look great for this first sample from your limited. Averages for this engine type are based on about 4,200 miles on the oil. You ran longer and got less metal in the oil-- that's great! Your engine is wearing with the best of them! The viscosity was a little think, but that hasn't hurt anything that we can see. We're not sure what causes it, but it's fairly common to see high viscosity in Harley engines. As far as we can tell, it's harmless. The TBN was quite strong at 5.0 (1.0 is low) so you should be fine with a longer interval. Try 6,500 miles. Nice!

Miles on oil: 5,222

Miles on unit: 25,001

Sample Date: 11/25/2017

Make up oil added: 0

Aluminum: 2

Chromium: 0

Iron: 8

Copper: 10

Lead: 0

Tin: 1

Molybdenum: 560

Nickel: 0

Manganese: 1

Silver: 1

Titanium: 0

Potassium: 1

Boron: 17

Silicon: 18

Sodium: 10

Calcium: 2695

Magnesium: 14

Phosphorus: 1901

Zinc: 2117

Barium: 1

SUS Viscosity @ 210 F: 109.0 Values: 75 - 99

cSt Viscosity @ 100 C: 22.45 Values: 14.3 - 20.4

Flashpoint in F: 415

Fuel %:
Antifreese %: 0

Water %: 0

Insolubles %: 0.2

TBN 5.0

As long as the TBN is strong there is no need to change the oil, people change oil way to often.

Why do you think vehicle manufactures now run oil longer in the engines, the old 3,000 mile or 3 month oil change is a thing of the past.

Even when I had my Victory which shared the engine oil with the transmission, primary and clutch my oil reports came back showing the oil could go longer then the 5,000 mile interval. I ran Redline synthetic oil in the Victory as well with zero problems.

Last edited:
7500 miles on oil in a air cooled Harley?
Isn't the bike under warranty and suppose to change fluids every 5k? Oil is cheap..
I would not run extended OCI's on the bike with all the stuff going on with Harley voiding powertrain warranty these days due to EPA [censored].

There is no oil cooler on a 16 FLHTK, it has liquid cooled heads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back