Poor man's bypass oil filtration: my $60 setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: walterjay
Those filter housings are not rated to handle more than 100 degrees Farenheit

Yeah, intended for water filtering. The eBay listing also talks up the nanosilver antibacterial technology, which is certainly of no use for an oil filter and I wonder what will happen with stuff like that with hot oil running through it.
Gotta be honest, the whole setup seems ill advised and possibly dangerous...

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Yeah, intended for water filtering. The eBay listing also talks up the nanosilver antibacterial technology, which is certainly of no use for an oil filter and I wonder what will happen with stuff like that with hot oil running through it.

No problems so far.

Originally Posted By: Lucas92
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

No problems so far.

... that you're aware of. I'm gonna have to agree with Virtus_Probi - Seems like a bad idea to me.

That's why his girlfriend is doing the pumping
smile.gif
It's a dirty job, but someones gotta do it
wink.gif

If you do it offline, with drained oil, you can control the temperature and the "dangerous" bit (which I take to be due to the alleged use while driving) is eliminated.

I've thought of it, and dumpster-dived an old triple-filter electric pumped water purification rig a while ago, but I had to throw a lot of junk away recently so its gone.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...on?#Post4071913

The spun-polypropylene filters cheaply available here have a max temp of 60C

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: valley_ranch
Lucas ~ Have you installed this on a car ```

No, I use it once a week as an oil "dialysis". I was sarcastic when I said that I would use it while driving...
I don't even drain the oil. I just pump it from the oil dipstick tube back through the fill hole for 10 minutes and that's it.

Last edited:
I am sure that is cleaning up your oil some. Imagine how much cleaner your oil will be if you have a continuous bypass system that works while you are driving? The oil is getting dirtier as you drive until you get home to clean the oil. I recently bought several used oil bypass systems. Maybe you could find a used unit in your part of the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back