2002 Liberty engine fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Owner just ordered a Jasper replacement engine.

Hope he has better luck with his than I did. After 2,200 miles on my Jasper, it knocked like a diesel and had to come back out just this week.

Buying a Jasper engine was the worst mistake I've made in a long, long time.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Is this entry level Jeep that is 15 years old with 188k worth the cost of rebuild and likely labor costs?

Might break even, if you are lucky.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Owner just ordered a Jasper replacement engine.

Hope he has better luck with his than I did. After 2,200 miles on my Jasper, it knocked like a diesel and had to come back out just this week.

Buying a Jasper engine was the worst mistake I've made in a long, long time.

Jasper, never again

As the owner of a 120 hp OM617 benz turbodiesel, nah, don't do that.

They've been custom dropped in other rides, but the slushy auto trans usually goes along with.

The adapter plate/ flexplate/ flywheel for other apps has to be custom made for >$1000.

The cummins 4BT comes with a free potato chip van for all your storage needs.
laugh.gif

On topic, good luck sorting this out. Lotsa blown liberty 3.7s up here too.

Hopefully Jasper sends the right engine. '02 Liberty's use a different crankshaft than the '03+ models. Found that out the hard way when doing an engine on one years ago. JY engine for an '03+... Like $500. '02... Triple that. They know that they're special and they price them accordingly.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Is this entry level Jeep that is 15 years old with 188k worth the cost of rebuild and likely labor costs?

I'm with you on this one and recommend that vehicle be sent to the scrap yard. Too much risk on an expensive repair for a vehicle with that many miles.

Seems the Jeep 3.7's don't last long around here.
My cousin bought A Liberty with a bad engine thinking he could drop a junkyard engine in it and have a cheap 4x4 beater.
He searched high and low and the majority of the Libertys in the junkyards had bad engines. He did end up finding a couple yards that had decent low mileage engines, but they wanted a ridiculous amount for them because they were in high demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back