2010 Ford Fusion 2.5 - 7,509 mi - Valv ML 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just pulled the first one that came up showing a wide range.

I remember my 2006 Civic going from 0w20 (All Season protection) to like 15wXX if it doesn't go below 32F. They wouldn't put this in there if it didn't make sense, right?

I imagine a 0w20 oil is sitting at the 20 viscosity when you go to "cold start" the car during 90F ambient morning temp. So there's no benefit of the 0w part at that heat. Hahaha.

Originally Posted By: Artem
I imagine a 0w20 oil is sitting at the 20 viscosity when you go to "cold start" the car during 90F ambient morning temp. So there's no benefit of the 0w part at that heat. Hahaha.

Yeah, this much is true. This is exactly why, here in Phoenix, I consider 5w30 'essentially the same' as 10w30, at least as far as thickness goes. I have used straight 10w30 in this engine in the past, without any issues... Valvoline White Bottle 10w30, to be precise.

.. and based on what I've read on here, using a 10w30 in this engine, here in Phoenix, during the summer, would technically be (at least stlightly) better than running 5w30

Technically, yes. The 10w30 will be closer to the HOT operating temp viscosity then the 5w30 which has a longer heat range expansion.

I've ran 15w50 as a 50k mile anniversary flush in my Mazda. I had no use for such thick oil that I got on sale, so designed to use it up. Took the car for a 20 min spin and the engine felt the same to me (was Hot when the oil went it). Didn't notice any significant drag or anything. Was still very rev happy and seemed... quieter.

I know many will argue and say 0w20 is just fine but I personally go with thicker oil for summer use in FL.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Technically, yes. The 10w30 will be closer to the HOT operating temp viscosity then the 5w30 which has a longer heat range expansion.

I've ran 15w50 as a 50k mile anniversary flush in my Mazda. I had no use for such thick oil that I got on sale, so designed to use it up. Took the car for a 20 min spin and the engine felt the same to me (was Hot when the oil went it). Didn't notice any significant drag or anything. Was still very rev happy and seemed... quieter.

I know many will argue and say 0w20 is just fine but I personally go with thicker oil for summer use in FL.

But it's not all that hot in Florida. Humid it is. In the summer it's hotter here in Illinois than Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back