Ecoboost F150 on the wrong oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't a BITOGer talking about draining oil out of a tractor and putting kerosene in the sump to get it started in cold weather?
Guess they did that just for fun, obviously it was not required because SAE 40 or 50 oil is fine when it's cold.

As mentioned above, you probably have a lot more flexibility in oil choice if you think 0F is really cold. Especially if you're parking inside overnight.

At my work we've been seeing plenty of 200k mile EcoBoost trucks ran on the correct oil. So 20w50 isn't really necessary for them to last that long.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I am not really arguing thick is better than thin.
My argument is it doesn't really make any difference.
The thin is to get better gas mileage not necessarily long life but oil changes are more important than oil weights.
Longer living engines are due to on board computers monitoring all systems. No fuel dumps and constant corrections to optimize operations leads to longer living motors.

However I used M1 5-20 in 1978 in my 78 Dodge truck Slant 6 with no computers and an engine that called for 10-40. I also used Valvoline straight 20wt in my 69 Ford Fairlane and I was told then by a mechanic that 20 wt would ruin my engine. I guess the thick oil crowd was alive and well back then.

Originally Posted By: Dave9
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
A guy with a 2013 Ecoboost F150 stopped by to pick up a horse and we talked vehicles.
I just thought BITOG members might like to hear what someone is doing with their Ecoboost in a real working truck.

How long have you been a paid shill for Ford?

If that weren't the case, or if you didn't already acknowledge problems with ecoboost, then there would have been no reason for you to present this as you did.

You pretty much showed your hand and failed miserably. Please try to be less biased next time.

Wow, a little angry this morning are we?

A guy with a 2013 Ecoboost F150 stopped by to pick up a horse and we talked vehicles.

He's got just over 200K miles and all of them with conventional Castrol 20w-50 at 5K intervals with Motorcraft filters. All his driving has been in the desert, high desert or mountains and mostly towing. He's had nothing done except routine maintenance. What he called 5w-20 oil can't be repeated here so I take it he prefers a bit thicker oil. He's had trips where he's towing maximum weight for 8-10 hours in the desert with temps in the triple digits and he won't risk his rig to thinner oils.

He also changes his air filter based on a delta gage and he's added a really big gas filter/water separator with a warning light and a coolant filter with a sacrificial anode along with an extra really big tranny cooler and a spin on filter with synthetic tranny fluid with a drain and refill every 30K miles. The diff also gets a heavier synthetic oil changed every 30K miles.

As hard as he works his truck I'd say he's doing okay with his changes.

I just thought BITOG members might like to hear what someone is doing with their Ecoboost in a real working truck.

I have to admit I'm a little surprised he went that heavy, but after thinking about it a 50-weight is a good choice for always high temps and always heavy use. I'm reminded of the Schaeffer Oil Million Mile van, 5.4L specified for 5w20 and they used 15w40 and had near zero wear. Seems like a 2 grade increase for super heavy duty works well.

All the posts about it being too thick at startup is from folks that may never have experienced the Southwest US temperatures....100°F at 6am...

I'm a little surprised he went with 20W-50 instead of 15W-40 HDEO.

I haven't quite gotten to that point with my F150, but it's nice to know the 20W-50 "didn't kill it".

Originally Posted By: tig1
A friend has a 2012 F 150 ecobost and it's his work truck as well. He is a contractor and pulls a tandem wheel trailer that serves hauling all his equipment. Often he travels long distance to jobs. He also pulls a 32 ft camper for extended stays. He uses MC 5-30 at factory spec OCIs.

Does your friend follow the oil life monitor when using MC5W-30 and how low of a % of "life left" does he go to? Or does he just change it every 5,000 miles like Ford recommended for years before the iOLM and ignore the iOLM.

Whimsey

Black stone published some ecoboost UOA results in a recent letter. The more viscous oils had lower wear rates. I suspect that in Southern locations, a more viscous oil will reduce wear metals in many engines. It certainly does in my Fords.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: tig1
A friend has a 2012 F 150 ecobost and it's his work truck as well. He is a contractor and pulls a tandem wheel trailer that serves hauling all his equipment. Often he travels long distance to jobs. He also pulls a 32 ft camper for extended stays. He uses MC 5-30 at factory spec OCIs.

Does your friend follow the oil life monitor when using MC5W-30 and how low of a % of "life left" does he go to? Or does he just change it every 5,000 miles like Ford recommended for years before the iOLM and ignore the iOLM.

Whimsey

Not sure. I know at times he takes it to the Ford quick lube thing.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Black stone published some ecoboost UOA results in a recent letter. The more viscous oils had lower wear rates. I suspect that in Southern locations, a more viscous oil will reduce wear metals in many engines. It certainly does in my Fords.
Would it be possible to post the letter?

Originally Posted By: Dave9

How long have you been a paid shill for Ford?

If that weren't the case, or if you didn't already acknowledge problems with ecoboost, then there would have been no reason for you to present this as you did.

You pretty much showed your hand and failed miserably. Please try to be less biased next time.

I don't have a dog in this fight you have proposed. I prefer my older simple Toyota V8. No cam timing stuff, no cylinder de-activation, and no turbos. Just simple.

I would not purchase a work vehicle with all that stuff to contend with in 10-20 years down the road. For a Ford, it would be the V8 for me. My Toyota is 14 years old and so far bullet proof reliable. No unscheduled anything and a lot of hard, hot work often pulling a trailer. I did post a UOA and it looked good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back