Bad Fram filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put this filter in back in May, and it only has about 3k mile on it. My daughter has had intermittent problems with it since June.
It completely died on her Saturday, and had to be towed. My friend has an indy shop. Only problem was that the MAF was very dirty. It had been cleaned just a few months before.
The cause of the dirt on the MAF was this filter had come apart, allowing dirt and leaves to enter air stream. You can see from one of the pictures that there are leaves, seeds, etc., on the CLEAN side of the filter.
In looking at the filter, I noticed that the orange gasket/glue material is not as thick on the long side, in the middle. Apparently a manufacturing defect.
Sent an email in through the Fram website. I am sure they will replace it. Seems to be a freak manufacturing defect on the assembly line.

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Well... It's a fram

Can happen to any brand.

That gasket should be pressed down and held in place while in the filter box. But I suppose gravity would be pulling the filter media down away from the gasket. That's a bummer.

Last edited:
Well... It's a fram

nice thought provoking response

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Well... It's a fram

I don't blame him. There's a bad taste in peoples mouth from their history.

Originally Posted By: knerml
Shows that it is worth while to inspect any filter before installing...

Definitely... it doesn't look like this was damaged during service.

Appears to be a defect during manufacture.

Bad Qc there Sparkey.. You gotta look at this stuff before you install it. How did you miss it?

I had the Nissan dealer give me a free multi point inspection and they opened my air box and tossed the filter back in upside down. 1/4" gap at the top. Luckily I noticed a flat spot off idle and opened the air box. There it was. Too bad 300 miles of no filtration thru a sandy airbox. Thanks Guys. NOT!

I'm so glad I put a large label 2x3" over the airbox latch with the instyall date of only a few months before. Must be the prisoner release dealer "grease monkey" program i've seen around here for a few decades.
All careless morons. The certified techs in the garage must be appalled.

Last edited:
Well... It's a fram

This type of failure comes as no surprise to me as I have had similar issues with their filters in the past. It's a shame it happened to OP but I'm glad it was an easy fix.

There better?

Well... It's a fram

This type of failure comes as no surprise to me as I have had similar issues with their filters in the past. It's a shame it happened to OP but I'm glad it was an easy fix.

There better?

The nickname "orange can of death" didn't come out of nowhere...

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Well... It's a fram

Can happen to any brand.
But, but we're told FRAM is purrrrrfect.

Originally Posted By: planeman223

Where did it come from then? Are you saying that the current design of the Extra Guard is materially different now than it was in the past?

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Well... It's a fram

+1

Other than just working at a parts store, do you have any particular reason to "+1" the comment? Have you seen frequent defective filters such as this or had a lot of returns?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: planeman223

Where did it come from then? Are you saying that the current design of the Extra Guard is materially different now than it was in the past?

I'd probably just Google that instead of wait for myself or someone else to copy and paste it for you.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: dogememe
Well... It's a fram

+1

Other than just working at a parts store, do you have any particular reason to "+1" the comment? Have you seen frequent defective filters such as this or had a lot of returns?

Working as a mechanic and getting paid to fix the [censored]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back