Wiper blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have used the Bosch "Aero" style blades on the BMW and have been pleased with them in the wet. Driver's side wiper does wobble a bit at the lower end of the blade (i.e. bottom of the windscreen), presumably due to the tension of the wiper arm - but when it rains it isn't an issue.

Only get streaking and the rubbing noises when using windscreen washer jets, as they're pretty weak and don't spray that area.

They've been fitted for nearly two years now with no signs of degradation or performance loss. I previously used cheap aero-style blades that completely disintegrated after a few months. You get what you pay for.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Great post Hangfire.

Thanks. I clean my 2 primary drivers glass 3-4 times a week. Sometimes I think to myself "only some on BITOG would understand, and even then, probably only a few."

I got started doing that when I had a long commute straight into the Sun. Dirty glass is especially irritating when you're going East in the morning and West in the evening and the Sun is always dead ahead. Now, that commute is (happily) gone, but the lingering result is, I can't stand dirty glass, period.

I've had great luck with Supertech and NAPA low tiered blades. I've used both on several cars.. I've had more issues with the ST blades, but you'll know you have a dud either right out of the box or within the first week or so of service. I bought ST's for my truck last week and they look to be selling their blades under another name. Same packaging and design though.

The NAPA's occasionally go on sale bringing them to about ST prices. I'd prefer those over the 2.

ST ones work ok for wiping. But the black metal arm has rusted pretty badly(looks terrible!) in less than a year. Car is outside all the time. But the oem passenger side looks like new in comparison. I've just replaced the inserts on that one. Good thing I kept the drivers side oem assembly.

ST uses recycled Yugo metal for their metal assemblies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Bosch for availability. Or if you can find who makes OEM wipers for your car then go with them. For Toyota cars, the OEM wipers are made by a brand called Sightline.

And ditto on not liking the frameless blades. Seems all of the ones I've used chattered at highway speeds because they are more flexible.

All the Japanese will use NWB or Mitsuba wiper blades from the factory, I think Toyota's US operations uses Trico. The aftermarket blade at Toyota was also NWB, but now made in China for both the conventional and beam blades. I used those new Toyota blades, meh.

Bosch's blades are decent despite being made in China, the old Micro Edge designs made in Belgium were much better. I like Valeo and Denso blades, Denso's blades are reboxed NWBs, Valeo's 600 series look strikingly like the old Bosch Micro Edge Excel. I'll go with Trico over Bosch or Anco at the parts store.

Last edited:
trico narrow refills off of amazon work in the rain-x metal frames. I had to buy a couple of wrong sizes until I figured out which models I needed, which still with mistakes cost less than a parts store blade. Now I keep extra refills hung on the wall and restock when low. (at the moment, between me, my wife, and 4 HS-college age children, I'm keeping an eye on enough cars to warrant small inventories).

-m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back