question about registering a car in Memphis TN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought some folks here might be able to give me some info, i live on Long Island and im extremely familiar with the DMV and all things automotive here in the NYC meto area. But my question is what is the cost of getting a car in the road in Memphis or other parts of TN. I guess only people who lived or live in the are can guide me As i might take a job there.

There are my current costs
2015 Dodge Dart runs me:
$63 a year for registration (they hit you every 2 years so its around $130 last i checked)
$37 a year for safety and OBD2 inspection ( in ny as long as your car is not falling apart and the CEL is OFF with all monitors ready and no coed you pass) ABS or SRS lights are not a reason to fail inspection.
$1100 for full coverage each year

2010 Ford Transit connect rums me:
$63 a year for registration (they hit you every 2 years so its around $130 last i checked)
$37 a year for safety and OBD2 inspection ( in ny as long as your car is not falling apart and the CEL is OFF with all monitors ready and no coed you pass) ABS or SRS lights are not a reason to fail inspection.
$630 a year for basic insurance.
And thats it.

When you buy a used car from joe public you pay $50 for title, then the $130 for registration and $20 for plates or you pay $20 and transfer your old plates to the new used car, then you have to pay 8.75% sales tax not on the book value of the car but on what you PAID FOR IT. Most people pay less then $1000 even for a 5 year old car (if you get what im saying) The state does not check the value of the car as long as you have a tax from filled out by the seller.

A new car is all the same but you will pay the full sales tax on the dealer invoice.

There is no PP tax or other [censored] like i saw in Mississippi with these outrageous 30% tax each year on a newer car.

What do these things cost in TN? Is there safety inspection? what about emissions? its OBD2 only or a smog test? How does the sales tax work? what about county fees and so on.

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Last edited:
Also NY no longer does "emissions" testing for cars 1995 and older, they just look to see if has a cat on it. Thats it. There is no smog tests

Many winter Texans register their vehicles and motorhomes online in SD
Now if your trying to evade taxes you may not be in luck if caught

Last edited:
TN has no safety inspections. Before driving in TN, buy lots of insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back