Which Oil is Better? Blackstone looks at brands...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does that make a difference when they say:

Quote:
We see much more variation in wear levels from the type of engine, the time on the oil, the viscosity, the use the engine sees, etc. Whatever differences exist from oil brand to oil brand, we don’t see a lot of difference in terms of wear for most types of engines.

Their data shows not much difference between oils in regards to wear, assuming the oil isn't spent at the time of the change.

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
Their data shows not much difference between oils in regards to wear.

And neither does any data shown on this board.

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
This thread belongs in the PCMO forum for a good discussion. Putting it here is tantamount to putting it to sleep.

Not really, there just isn't any data to prove that one fully formulated oil is better than another in preventing wear.

I actually find the most interesting thing that the TDI guys seem to be running the oil significantly longer...

They do have “Valvoline 5/30” and “Castrol GTX” which are not high priced oils though not SuperTech cheap. I wonder how many samples they have of ST, it wouldn’t surprise me to find out that there aren’t a ton of ST users spending money on UOA’s.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Blackstone would have no incentive to offend any major oil brand with criticism.

Blackstone would have no disincentive either.
Blackstone does our retail level UOAs but they are also involved in the more serious and higher volume commercial end of the business.
Blackstone is scrupulously unbiased WRT brand.
Their role isn't to call any brand out but rather to provide the analysis that users pay for.
The great surprise to all of us who obsess about what to use and for how long is that it appears to make no measurable difference.
I have a hard time wrapping my head around this, but I'd also have a hard time showing that this is untrue.

IIRC the "informed consensus" on here has been that the metallic elemental analysis provided by a UOA is flawed as an indicator of engine wear.

Blackstone don't appear to have read that memo, but perhaps it isn't in their commercial interest to do so.

Problem is an oil can't be judged solely by UOA. The only way is tear down and inspection. UOAs are for determining the condition of the oil. Like dirt, fuel, and coolant. That's about it. That's why I don't waste money on UOAs.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Problem is an oil can't be judged solely by UOA. The only way is tear down and inspection. UOAs are for determining the condition of the oil. Like dirt, fuel, and coolant. That's about it. That's why I don't waste money on UOAs.

UOA is good for long term sampling of the same engine at about the same intervals. Heavy Duty construction engines can pay off in monitoring wear. Most PCMO samples are questionable due to sampling techniques. A good maintenance man say at major trucking companies can definitely earn his pay.

OK, 1.) - Those are all pretty good high class oils.

2.) The HDEO's performed well as expected. So did Amsoil. Gee, that's a shocker ...

3.) The TDI's beat on their cylinder walls because the owners are running diesels and they like to lug them to get the mileage ...

The gasser drivers are likely more forgiving on their engines.

I'll bet that most of the gassers had auto tranny's and the diesels had sticks ... Short shifted to take advantage of the TQ, but harder on some parts ...

We just don't know enough about the cars and trucks in this sample. How they were driven, etc.

The long use oils are doing what the tribologists have been saying for ever. Oils make unique AW compounds in an engine over time. These unique compounds are lost at oil change. The oil has to start over getting squeezed and cooked to make them. Each engine is different. You can't buy these compounds, they only happen in that engine under those local conditions. They are very effective.

So the hack about guys who do not changing the oil "abusing" an engine is only partly true. Long drain intervals are good for a motor as long as the chemistry does not get out of whack, or varnish does not form, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back