Student Driver just took YEARS off my motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: csandste
Grew up in a small town in South Dakota in the fifties. Neighbor was some eighty year old man that was deaf as a post. Every single start whether at 105 or minus 30 was petal to the metal until he could feel it shake for about thirty seconds. Doubt if he could hear a thing.

It was a '49 Ford and it outlasted him. Kept it for years.

Ha !! Now that is a great story !!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I actually had the opportunity to watch car unloading operations from afar at the local port. I didn't see any racing or other shenanigans. It was a line of cars and the route seemed to be laid out for them to follow. I'm not sure of these delivery stories unless they were renegade workers.

Now test drives on new cars can be a mixed bag. I've been lucky to get single digits on most of my new cars.

To the OP, back in the carburetor days a engine would start up fast because the driver floored the pedal when turning the key. You had to give them some gas otherwise it wouldn't start. Today's fuel injection took away that part of the equation. Your oil was pumping very quickly after the motor started so I wouldn't worry.

I have and have had a few fords that race up to 2500, 3000 on cold start. I don't expect any issues with my Focus, but there has been a few cold mornings where it HAS to idle at 2500-3000 for a few minutes. I'm guessing to heat up the cat. Same with the F-350 and my old Focus.

Pretty sure I woke up a few permanent residents of the cemetery across from my parents' house the time the exhaust fell off the F350. 2500RPM on an open downpipe v8 is quite loud.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump

It was real BLUE smoke on the deceleration/derevving. Like an old 1974 Ford Torino wagon with 150k on it. Horrible blue.

It was just breaking loose all the junk that's been building up inside the engine from never giving it a proper "Italian Tune-up".

Should run better now......

To the OP, back in the carburetor days a engine would start up fast because the driver floored the pedal when turning the key. You had to give them some gas otherwise it wouldn't start. Today's fuel injection took away that part of the equation. Your oil was pumping very quickly after the motor started so I wouldn't worry.

I was taught that a properly tuned carb should start without your foot on the gas.

If the car has an auto choke, you usually engage it by pressing the gas pedal once and then releasing it before starting. Also, on a typical fixed venturi carb flooring the gas activates the accelerator pump, which "squirts" gas into the intake to help prime the engine.

Usually when you set the choke(whether automatic or manual) you do engage the fast idle cam which will take the normal idle to 2K or so(depending on the size/construction of the engine) to help the engine while it warms up(fuel injected engines increase the cold idle also). In general, though, flooring the accelerator while cranking is counter-productive. On a cold carburetor/engine getting ENOUGH gas vaporized for the engine to start is always a problem. "Choking" the carburetor increases the vacuum in the venturi, which helps gas to vaporize(I'll also mention that the only carbureted car I have now and regularly deal with uses other tricks to richen the mixture rather than increasing the vacuum with a choke valve). Letting in more air by opening the throttle doesn't really help you.

The only time with a carb where you want to HOLD the throttle while cranking is if the engine is flooded. The reason for this is that in a flooded condition, the mixture is too rich for the plugs to light, and by opening the throttle you are allowing in more air to get the mixture closer to stoichiometric and hopefully get something that the engine can light efficiently.

My 86 300ZX turbo's owner's manual said to push the accelerator all the way to the floor when re-staring a fully warmed engine.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool

It probably scared her, and I'm sure she feels bad.

She?

How dare you assume their gender! I'm offended.

Jk.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial

I was taught that a properly tuned carb should start without your foot on the gas.

If the car has an auto choke, you usually engage it by pressing the gas pedal once and then releasing it before starting. Also, on a typical fixed venturi carb flooring the gas activates the accelerator pump, which "squirts" gas into the intake to help prime the engine.

Usually when you set the choke(whether automatic or manual) you do engage the fast idle cam which will take the normal idle to 2K or so(depending on the size/construction of the engine) to help the engine while it warms up(fuel injected engines increase the cold idle also). In general, though, flooring the accelerator while cranking is counter-productive. On a cold carburetor/engine getting ENOUGH gas vaporized for the engine to start is always a problem. "Choking" the carburetor increases the vacuum in the venturi, which helps gas to vaporize(I'll also mention that the only carbureted car I have now and regularly deal with uses other tricks to richen the mixture rather than increasing the vacuum with a choke valve). Letting in more air by opening the throttle doesn't really help you.

The only time with a carb where you want to HOLD the throttle while cranking is if the engine is flooded. The reason for this is that in a flooded condition, the mixture is too rich for the plugs to light, and by opening the throttle you are allowing in more air to get the mixture closer to stoichiometric and hopefully get something that the engine can light efficiently.

The key phrase here is "properly tuned".

Dang, what a horrible way to wreck an engine. Maybe you can find a gently used junkyard motor that only uses 1 qt / 1k miles.

If there is one benefit to the OEMs specing low viscosity oil besides CAFE, that motor had instantaneous oil pressure buildup. While Toyotas hate running low on oil, I accidentally forgot to fill the crankcase on a Sienna once. The engine ran for a second. Shut it off, filled it back up and 60K later the engine still runs fine.

You'll be fine. I'm not sure if Toyota abuses their mainstream engines during the R&D phase, but they did subject the UZ-series Lexus V8 to WOT in freezing and desert conditions for hours on end when the LS400 was being conceived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back