How do you usually get rid of used auto fluids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually take them to AutoZone. However I called the local Health Dept and they will take old antifreeze.

Last edited:
Our municipal recycling center has two tanks, one for oil and one for antifreeze. Plus we can bring our used oil filters and leave the empty oil and antifreeze containers. There is no charge, other than our taxes, for this.

Whimsey

Our local recycling center takes everything, from automotive fluids to household waste like old cleaning solvents and paint.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Our local recycling center takes everything, from automotive fluids to household waste like old cleaning solvents and paint.

Exactly the same where Iam

A shop down the road from me takes everything, including the jugs. I used to go to Advance Auto but disliked carrying back jugs with gross used oil running down the sides in my car.

The local John Deere construction equipment dealer takes everything from me. They have a 3,000 gallon tank, that feeds a used oil heater to heat their massive shop. They love anything that will provide them with virtually free heat in the winter.

About half way into the first winter, the gas and light company called them and asked them why there was such a dramatic drop in their usage. The gas and light folks thought that they had closed up.

I bring them to my work. We have tanks for everything. Any shop that does oil changes in California is not only supposed to take "reasonable amounts" of used oil at no charge but there is a form they are supposed to have for people to fill out that will pay the consumer to dispose of the oil.

Oil and trans fluid was easy to get rid of. Seems antifreeze is a hard one many do not want to take.

My brother runs the family generator repair shop. I am able to put waste oil in their waste oil heater.
Antifreeze goes in a drum they then send to a recycler. I believe they get paid for it.
Lately, they've discovered synthetic oil doesn't play well with their heater so it goes into a drum that goes to the recycler also.

I just poor them in the ditch, really keeps the bugs away also.
laugh.gif

Just Kidding, any auto parts store will take them. Once they get to know you it will be very easy. Other hazardous stuff you may need to find a local place. I took a bunch of old paint cans and spray paint to a recycler and it was pricey. Don't buy paint until you need it and left overs need to be dried solid to go into the landfill.

Thankfully, my employer makes it convenient for me to dispose oil and ATF.
Antifreeze goes down the toilet into the municipal waste stream.
Brake fluid gets incinerated.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I wish I could get used antifeeze for free. I have older tractors that can use it.

We routinely have employees take our used fluids like ATF, Oil, Coolant. They make great beater fluids, seem to serve well in older high mileage vehicles

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Our municipal recycling center has two tanks, one for oil and one for antifreeze. Plus we can bring our used oil filters and leave the empty oil and antifreeze containers. There is no charge, other than our taxes, for this.

Whimsey

Exactly.
However I'm pretty close to auto stores.
They all accept engine oil, atf, brake fluid all together.
Coolant is the one that is a bit more difficult.
Requires going to municipal county recycling place.

Take my oil to the local O'Reillys. THey only let me do up to 5 gallons at a time though. Makes it a bit of a pain sometimes but oh well

Coolant, I put down an indoor drain. My municipal system can process it. Call ahead and verify with yours

Brake fluid, I could never figure out what to do with. I just put the old stuff in the bottle and stick it in the trash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back