Why the hate for Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those that have been here a long time will remember my experience with RP. I was always commenting on how the wear numbers in UOAs were so high and how the oil thinned out so drastically. A Royal Purple rep actually contacted me and offered me a free case of it so I could test it out myself and do a UOA on it. That didn't work out so well, the oil did show poorly in the UOA, thinning out and higher wear numbers. To be fair, this was more than 10 years ago (maybe even 15 years ago) so I can't hold it against Royal Purple any longer.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Those that have been here a long time will remember my experience with RP. I was always commenting on how the wear numbers in UOAs were so high and how the oil thinned out so drastically. A Royal Purple rep actually contacted me and offered me a free case of it so I could test it out myself and do a UOA on it. That didn't work out so well, the oil did show poorly in the UOA, thinning out and higher wear numbers. To be fair, this was more than 10 years ago (maybe even 15 years ago) so I can't hold it against Royal Purple any longer.

I'll be sure to post my UOA on here. I dropped the factory fill at 500 miles & refilled with RP 5w-30 HPS & a RP filter. I'll change the oil at 5,000 miles & send the sample off to Blackstone (got about 700 miles to go). Being that the engine is new, I'll be interested to see what my wear metals PPM are with 4,500 miles on this oil. I'm going to refill with RP HPS & RP filter at the time of the oil change. The UOA should give me an indication of what this oil is doing, & how far it's capable of going. I've seen UOA's of the RP SN GF5 oil, & not impressed at all. So hoping the HPS line returns a better result. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back