Just took truck in for its second engine in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in a rather foul mood tonight, as I just dropped off one of the trucks for its second Jasper (never again) engine in the past six months.

The first Jasper (never again) engine lasted a grand total of 2,399 miles.

It started knocking when it was cold, after I had driven it only a few hundred miles. It simply kept getting louder and louder. I finally threw in the towel when I was planning to head south to view the eclipse a few weeks back, and had zero confidence in the truck, for a 400 mile trip. I rented a car instead. I had $4600 invested in an engine that I only drove as far as I was willing to have it towed back, in case it finally quit.

The machanic who installed it changed the oil/filter at 500 miles, and again 1500 miles later.

I took the truck in for diagnosis. The mechanic/shop that installed the engine did everything that Jasper (never again) asked them to. They then decided that it needed to be replaced. Jasper (never again) is providing another long block. I truly hope that this one lasts at least 5,000 miles. That would be a huge improvement.

Jasper (never again) is 'covering' the labor, although they're refusing to pay the full shop rate. The shop is going to have to eat the remainder, because I'm not paying it either. It wasn't my junk engine. Jasper (never again) flat out refused to cover a rental car for me. Apparently, my inconvenience due to their junk engine doesn't matter to them at all.

So, the shop hopes to have the truck back to me on Friday afternoon.

It's really a shame that Jasper (never again) turned out a junk engine, and then ended up sticking it to me and to the shop that installed it. They're only assuring that there's a shop and a customer who will likely never buy anything from them again. The shop is already planning to switch over to using engines from LKQ instead, and I don't blame them at all.

Jasper = never again
smile.gif

They are not getting something right - a GM 5.3L will last as long as a Ford motor ...

For a low dollar option with something as common as a GM 5.3, I wouldve gone to the junkyard. There is at least one there thats shiny clean under the valve covers with like new compression.
I trust the factory to turn out one correctly way more than these rebuilders.
For money option where you want to keep the truck for a long time, and you really want a warranty, a GM rebuilt longblock comes with a 3 year/100k mile transferable warranty.
I had to look it up 'cause I know Ford has a similar 100k mile warranty on their longblocks as well.
https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/ch...rranty-card.pdf

After two engines failed, I'd have demanded my money back or seen them in court.

You're nicer than me for going for a 3rd.

You'd think that the nation's largest engine rebuilder would be more careful with the world looking over their shoulder while all this is going on. Having an engine take a dump like that in such a short time should be at least, embarrassing. Maybe they're more important than one customer because they are such a large operation. Doing the right thing for a customer and an installer under these circumstances could be considered cheap and effective advertising.

I hope they get it right for you, this time.

Jasper=Never. Thankfully I've never needed an engine. If I do it won't be one of theirs.

Back in the 1990's we had a large fleet of gas engines. Ford and GM, we bought dozens of Jasper engines and transmissions with great luck. They even brought us down in a luxury motor coach for a plant tour and all expense fun weekend. I do not have any recent experience since we have gone all diesel and no longer replace engines.

What was the application of the engines both past and present?

A fleet of gas engine trucks is one thing and a fleet of diesels is another.

I'm asking because there's a border line of efficiency or power your company must've been skirting.

Jasper sucks. A few guys on the Jeep forums have needed replacement 4.0 engines. It is well documented that the '99-'02 cylinder heads can crack and cause issues. When asked what they do to prevent this problem (there are a few companies out there who make stronger heads), they stated it is not a problem with the 4.0 and people are just spreading misinformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back