I need an oil for a wet clutch, not rotella

Status
Not open for further replies.
The transmission this is going in turns rotella to water within 800 miles or so and shifting gets clunky.

The yamalube 15w50 synthetic lasts until 1500 miles or so, but it's expensive. Looking for something under 10 bucks a quart. in the 10w40 to 20w50 range.

Uhhhh... you get what you pay for? I'm not sure what will hold up better than Amsoil. Though my CL175 would burn it to a crisp in <500 miles if ridden hard enough.

I have same experience with Rotella.

Have you considered M1 15w50 ?

Available at WalMart and receives consistent positive reviews here on BITOG and it looks like you are already a M1 fan.

It lasts about 50% longer than Rotella in my "thumper" applications.

Spectro Platinum 4 15W50 ... a true blue PAO/Ester blend, JASO MA2 compliant. If that can't get it done, then good luck.

If you are getting that much shear, perhaps you could try a mono grade. I'm using an SAE 30 in one of my bikes, I'm not likely to use it under 5C, and it's working very well.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
I have same experience with Rotella.

Have you considered M1 15w50 ?

Available at WalMart and receives consistent positive reviews here on BITOG and it looks like you are already a M1 fan.

It lasts about 50% longer than Rotella in my "thumper" applications.

I like the M1 15w50, too.
01.gif

Quick silver 20w50 synthetic at Wal-Mart 24$ a gallon.
Worked great in my fz09.
I agree with rotella and shift quality.

Which Rotella got clunky after 800 miles? I've seen a few posts here indicating T6 5w40 shears very quickly, however, Rotella T 15w-40 holds up much better. My yamaha was shifting fine with 2,300 miles on RotellaT.

Originally Posted By: Silk
If you are getting that much shear, perhaps you could try a mono grade. I'm using an SAE 30 in one of my bikes, I'm not likely to use it under 5C, and it's working very well.
I was going to say sae40...But we are on the same track.

Yes, depending on temps. Looking at my Airhead oil spec chart, they have 30 from zero to 30 C, and 40 from 20 C to 50 C. The 30 fits my temp zone. Not that I'm using SAE30 in the Airhead, it's in a shared sump bike.

Originally Posted By: slug_bug
Which Rotella got clunky after 800 miles? I've seen a few posts here indicating T6 5w40 shears very quickly, however, Rotella T 15w-40 holds up much better. My yamaha was shifting fine with 2,300 miles on RotellaT.

I was wondering the same thing, is this Rotella T4, T5 or T6; as well as which weight?

But I agree with the others, for under $10/qt, the Mobil 1 15w-50 is a good choice.

Yep, no shear with monogrades. I'm currently at 4000 miles on VR1 SAE 40 and my bike still has outstanding shifting. I almost don't even want to change the oil...

15w-50 M1 shears more than rotella 15w-40 though may end up around the same viscosity as the rotella throughout most of its life.

Rotella (or any other 15w-40 for that matter) seem to maintain their viscosity pretty darn well. I have never had a bike that sheared it to the point of effecting shift quality and have gone as long as 6k on rotella specifically.

The 5w-40 rotella though......................that is a whole other story.

if you really are itching spend money than go whole hog an spring for 15w-50 Motul 300v

Originally Posted By: jeff78
Yep, no shear with monogrades. I'm currently at 4000 miles on VR1 SAE 40 and my bike still has outstanding shifting. I almost don't even want to change the oil...

do you only ride your bike in the summertime? because im pretty sure running a straight 40wt in my bike would end up with me needing a new sprag and a spun bearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back