23andme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both my parents sent did Ancestry and their results came back somewhat interesting I thought. They both were well over 80% "British" and my mom was 11% Irish. Most everything else was at trace levels. With that said, both of them can trace their families back a couple hundred years in the US(my dad to colonial frontier Kentucky) so I find it interesting that it would be that narrow.

With that said, the results themselves weren't that interesting. My mom "matched" as a very high probability of a relative with someone in Texas. The man had been born to a 16 year old mother and adopted. A bit more information(and another DNA match) established him as being my mom's nephew via her half sister. After 60 years, he was able to meet his biological mother. I'm not sure how often something like that happens, but it certainly wasn't something that she expected to come out of it.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Did you even read the thread? I wasn't the one who first brought up those terms. I'm not even sure what you're saying.

No one ever said they love you or care about you. And who is really having trouble with acceptance of the way the current world is?

I just came here to support the unpopular side ITT. That would be the side that suggests that there's more going on with these kind of services than prima facie. Subscribing to the service is no apocalyptic event, the concept is pretty cool but it's just nice for people to have an insight into the true intentions of various private, for-profit service providers. When they start sequencing our DNA and selling it, it's probably a good time to mention the issue.

And for what it's worth, I love you man. I love all of you, or I wouldn't be here embarrassing myself on fringe and taboo topics.
laugh.gif

inb4 bi-polar paranoid schizophrenic
happy2.gif

My wife's ancestryDNA results came back today, mine are still in the works. I figure if a government agency or other party wants my DNA badly enough they'll get it, I truly don't worry too much about privacy with something like this. I read a novel YEARS ago about an insurance company surreptitiously testing mailed premium payments for DNA from the saliva on the envelope glue, and canceling people whose tests came back with a tendency to early death. The problem was, sometimes the insured's spouse or secretary licked the envelope, so they canceled the wrong person...

My wife's results were not quite what we expected, including 3% Scandinavian, and 400+ 3rd and 4th cousins.

Mean while- I think I will drive to every AAP within a 50 mile radius looking for oil at .50 cents a quart...........

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Mean while- I think I will drive to every AAP within a 50 mile radius looking for oil at .50 cents a quart...........

In a Crown Vic?

Originally Posted By: pandus13

In a Crown Vic?

With Michelin tires!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: pandus13

In a Crown Vic?

With Michelin tires!
grin.gif

YES!
and wax them with the extra Penzoil Wax... (I'm DOOMED: I have it now in my engine)

I think like anything else you're going to have to pay more for a more elaborate ( and probably more accurate ) test if you're really interested in your genealogy / ethnic make-up. If I was really into this type of thing, I'd want to know the individual DNA haplogroups involved and not a pie chart telling me I'm 22% Eastern European or some vaguery that tells me what I already know. I don't think the $100 23andme test will list that...whereas the $400 test from either 23andme or another provider likely will.

Personally, I wouldn't expect to get an accurate answer on BITOG regarding DNA privacy rights and/or usage of your genetic material or profile. The blanket statement and the individual reality are likely to differ either some or a lot.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I think like anything else you're going to have to pay more for a more elaborate ( and probably more accurate ) test if you're really interested in your genealogy / ethnic make-up. If I was really into this type of thing, I'd want to know the individual DNA haplogroups involved and not a pie chart telling me I'm 22% Eastern European or some vaguery that tells me what I already know. I don't think the $100 23andme test will list that...whereas the $400 test from either 23andme or another provider likely will.

Personally, I wouldn't expect to get an accurate answer on BITOG regarding DNA privacy rights and/or usage of your genetic material or profile. The blanket statement and the individual reality are likely to differ either some or a lot.

Yep-and don't forget medical and legal advice. Even many oil threads are speculation......

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: WhyMe
if your DNA was never in a database, it is now. sooner or later someone will use this a tool to track people

Law enforcement solved a few murders because a close relative of the killer had their DNA in database.

you should not have done this, al. your dna could link you some crime.you might want to get rid of those bodies in your freezer.
where is antique when you need him?
al will be sleeping with one eye opened.

Originally Posted By: yeti
[
you should not have done this, al. your dna could link you some crime.you might want to get rid of those bodies in your freezer.
where is antique when you need him?
al will be sleeping with one eye opened.

lol...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Both my parents sent did Ancestry and their results came back somewhat interesting I thought. They both were well over 80% "British" and my mom was 11% Irish. Most everything else was at trace levels. With that said, both of them can trace their families back a couple hundred years in the US(my dad to colonial frontier Kentucky) so I find it interesting that it would be that narrow.

With that said, the results themselves weren't that interesting. My mom "matched" as a very high probability of a relative with someone in Texas. The man had been born to a 16 year old mother and adopted. A bit more information(and another DNA match) established him as being my mom's nephew via her half sister. After 60 years, he was able to meet his biological mother. I'm not sure how often something like that happens, but it certainly wasn't something that she expected to come out of it.

It would be scary if one day I found out that the sperm I donated was used to fertilize a baby who is now in a medical condition, and the birth parents abandoned him or her. Would I want to just ignore his desire to see me? Would I want to adopt him knowing his condition instead of focusing on raising my OWN children?

I'm not going to donate sperm, but if I would it'd be pretty scary to see these tracking info out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back