Wal Mart Blue sealant around drain plug

Well, I sprayed PB Blaster on the drain plug and got it out. I don't know if the PB made a difference, or I just limp wristed it the first time.

The oil pan isn't stripped. I put a new drain plug in. The old plug's threads were mashed a bit. I'm really happy the new bolt threaded right in.

Thanks for all the help,
Rob

I was going to change the oil of a new-to-me used vehicle that I recently purchased. It has a strip of pink sealant on the oil sump drain bolt: It too, appears to serve a couple of purposes such as to lock the bolt in place and also provide a visual tamper seal of sorts. I do the oil changes on my trucks and my sig-other's car I just kind of go back & forth with. I have enlisted the services of both Wal Mart & the "Quick Change" or "Quick Lube," whatever it's called. I have never in my life seen this glue/cement on the bolt so I did a search & found this thread on the 1st hit.

I put a breaker bar & 1/2" socket to it, I tugged a bit watching the glue closesly & I didn't see any 'give' there. The oil filter on the NBS GM trucks doesn't give you a whole lot to grab onto so I just threw in the towel for now. I will get'er done in a couple days when I'm feeling more ambitious as I fooled with that truck enough for 1 day & felt as though I should reassure myself on the purpose of that pink glue.

I purchased a used car that had the oil changes done at Wal Mart. They used some type of blue sealant around the drain plug, and I can't get the drain plug off. Anyone experience this? Thoughts on how to get it loose without breaking something?

TIA.
Rob
I had my oil changed at Walmart too and then the next time I needed my oil changed my son in law went to change it but noticed the blue lock tight on the drain plug. I took my receipt and went up to Walmart and of course they wanted to say what others here are saying that it's not lock tight so they tried to get the nut off but said of the head is getting strip so we need to drain the oil by pumping it out. OMG. I will never ever let anyone at any oil place ever again change my oil. I am 64 and changed my own oil most my life but just got at my old age where I didn't want to get under the car. So today my son in law heated up the plug to get it off that Walmart had put on and yes it was 100 percent lock tight they used to cover up that they stripped my plug. So we bought a new plug thank God and all is now well.

Back