Hows living in Texas? Moving family soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, so my wife and I just got back from the hospital with our just born baby girl! This is our first kid and we have to move from Seattle on October 1st.

I was planning to move to Utah, and really love it in Utah but my uncle owns a nice house in Fort Worth and offered for us to come live with him for a year or 2 while we get back on our feet (it is just him in the house so we get a good space).

Anyway, I would love to hear more about how it is living in Texas? I spent a few summers there as a kid and remember hatting the humidity and heat but other than that I don't remember much. I came from a small town in California so DFW seemed huge which was nice.

How is raising a family in Texas? Is it super affordable to live here?

My wife is a Nanny and I will be finishing up some schooling and working in whatever job I can get.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
Hi everyone, so my wife and I just got back from the hospital with our just born baby girl! This is our first kid and we have to move from Seattle on October 1st.

I was planning to move to Utah, and really love it in Utah but my uncle owns a nice house in Fort Worth and offered for us to come live with him for a year or 2 while we get back on our feet (it is just him in the house so we get a good space).

Anyway, I would love to hear more about how it is living in Texas? I spent a few summers there as a kid and remember hatting the humidity and heat but other than that I don't remember much. I came from a small town in California so DFW seemed huge which was nice.

How is raising a family in Texas? Is it super affordable to live here?

My wife is a Nanny and I will be finishing up some schooling and working in whatever job I can get.

My daughter has lived just north of Dallas in Sachse for ten years now. She grew up around the Seattle area. She loves it their and would move back to left coast for anything!

In my experience, Texans tend to be more opininated and don't wanna hear what you have to say if he/she disagrees with you. I wouldn't go around telling everyone your from Seattle because they don't don't like new residents who are "Left" handed.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
In my experience, Texans tend to be more opininated and don't wanna hear what you have to say if he/she disagrees with you. I wouldn't go around telling everyone your from Seattle because they don't don't like new residents who are "Left" handed.

My wife and I are right leaning anyway (more so the wife!) and is one of the things we don't like about Seattle. That and the cost of living here in Seattle is crazy. Otherwise we love the weather here and the natural beauty.

My wife and I are right leaning anyway (more so the wife!) and is one of the things we don't like about Seattle. That and the cost of living here in Seattle is crazy. Otherwise we love the weather here and the natural beauty.

You'll love Texas if you like the heat is more often than not over 100 degrees during the day for most of August. That's what my daughter loves growing up in the rain. She has stopped rusting!

I move from Louisiana to Texas. Yes it can get scorching hot in July/august but the winters are great. Year around fishing for me.
You can get a lot of house for the money compared to other parts of the country. 3000Sqft can be had for $300K depending on the area and the "fit and finish"
We call them Mc_Mansions.

There is a ton to do in the metroplex.

We live near Austin and take plenty of weekend trips up that way.

Fort Worth is more country and Dallas is more glitzy to me.

We don't go up "north" to Dallas during the winter, as they get a good amount of ice storms and colder weather.

There is so much entertainment/food/attractions in DFW its tough to get bored.

The landscape is flat compared to Austin/Hill Country area, but there are quite a few lakes for recreation.

I recently retired and live in the DFW area.

Texas has a decent public education system. Houses tend to be nice and big. Property taxes are higher. No state income tax. It gets hot here. Allergies are a thing in north Texas. There is definitely job opportunities available. The metroplex is constantly growing.

Find the red / blue map from the last election.
If it is blue, those are the folks moving to Texas.

Accurate for sure. Seattle is one of the worse places to tolerate even if you are a middle of the road person. It is as bad as Portland, Oregon and getting worse. The mountains and Puget Sound is nice, if you can take the crowds an fees on weekends. Traffic is one of the worst in the nation. Mayor is a complete fool as is the city council. Governor is equally bad. Buying a house is a joke unless you enjoy paying some of the highest real estate prices in the country.

I'd move to Texas if it was possible for me. In reality though, I don't think it will be many more years before Texas becomes neutral to left anyway. Shame.

Kracken I think you'll find yourself settling in DFW based on what you have said so far.

Your kiddo will have great schooling options later on.

The heat is just heat.. if you go outside then expect to sweat and have to shower after. No biggie. If you can stay on the outskirts of the metro then it should theoretically be cooler. All that concrete in the big city just holds onto heat and releases it at night.

You'll have the option to pick your power company if you get your own place. Shop around like you would for a cellular plan and you'll be fine.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I used to live in Grapevine. I'm moving back up there ASAP!!!!!!

Thought you lived near Waco?

Originally Posted By: car51
Thought you lived near Waco?

Maybe you were thinking of me?

Heat = Intense, but liveable. Winters dip into the teens (Saw 11*F last winter)
Property taxes = INSANE. A 3,000 sq ft house in Dallas is $8,000 -$12,000 a year in prop taxes
In order to avoid wicked high taxes, you may want to look to rural areas - but then there's the dreaded commute.

Building codes = very lax - if you know ANYTHING about how houses are built, you'll be severely disappointed for what kind of house you get for the price.

Jobs = drying up in many, many areas. Lots of people moving here is eating them up.... and driving real estate prices higher.

Public schools = joke, all over the united states. Common core us ruining the next generation.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Property taxes = INSANE. A 3,000 sq ft house in Dallas is $8,000 -$12,000 a year in prop taxes.
In order to avoid wicked high taxes, you may want to look to rural areas - but then there's the dreaded commute.

That is insane, highest property tax I've seen, especially if those 3000 sq-ft houses are going for $300-350K.

Guess if someone was retired they could live way out from the city and have lower property taxes.

I have lived in many parts of the country over the years. Last 25 have been in Texas. Have no desire to live anywhere else.

Quote:
Jobs = drying up in many, many areas. Lots of people moving here is eating them up.... and driving real estate prices higher.

Unfortunately lots of people hear Texas has tons of jobs and move there, ultimately end up disappointed because many jobs are part-time with zero benefits.

My nephew recently graduated from college and was thinking about Texas, I told him not to move unless he has a job offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back