2003 Grand Marquis differential oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did my first ever rear differential oil change. (Have owned mostly front wheel drive)

I found it pretty easy to do. Bolts on cover broke free easily. Oil hole bolt took a little heat and liquid wrench.

I used some rtv for differentials to seal it back up and cleaned gears good with brake cleaner. Decided to use Mobil 1 75-90 in it.

I think this was the first change for it being the transmission fluid had never been changed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Where's the question ?

What do you think of M1 75-90?

Wasn't 2003 the year of soft transaxle disaster on panthers? Heavy oil may help somewhat if it was.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Wasn't 2003 the year of soft transaxle disaster on panthers? Heavy oil may help somewhat if it was.

Not sure... But it wasn't giving me any issues and calls for the weight I bought.

NO panther ever had a transaxle. As for LSD, I don't believe the MGM had that option but don't hold me to it.

Rear axles were not hardened and the bearings have no inner races, so the rollers that sit on the axles chewed the soft ones up

Originally Posted By: Y_K

The oil didn't look that bad when it came out. Maybe if it had axle issues that were repaired and oil was changed then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back