Harvest King Synthetic 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Rural King falls! The Harvest King rises! A raven arrives from the Wizards of Fort Wayne, the ones known only as Blackstone! The raven croaks only two words: "Dexos Approved." I have already fallen in with this new King and utilized his mixture in my noble Ford, the horseless chariot that I call the Ponymobile, my loyalty purchased for the lowly price of $11.99 per jug.

Code:

OIL Harvest King Synthetic 5W/20

MILES IN USE 0

MILES 0

SAMPLE TAKEN 09/06/16

ALUMINUM 0

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 1

COPPER 0

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 39

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 1

BORON 1

SILICON 5

SODIUM 1

CALCIUM 2065

MAGNESIUM 27

PHOSPHORUS 669

ZINC 765

BARIUM 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 53.9

cSt @ 100ºC 8.46

FLASHPOINT ºF 420

FUEL %

ANTIFREEZE %

WATER %

INSOLUBLES 0.0

TBN -

TAN

ISO CODE

Seriously, though, this is about the most generic looking VOA you will ever see.

Last edited:
Looks like a "cheaper" bargain oil. Which it is. Nothing wrong with it.

VOA's don't tell us much IMO. They are just for generally making sure and oil is fit for use as well as baselines. Many oils that look weak in VOAs are some of the better performers in UOAs. VWB and VSP come to mind..

Run a UOA on your second consecutive oil change to get the full story!

Thanks for posting!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
If it's Dexos, it can't be all bad.

^^^ yup, run this oil 200k miles or one costing twice the price, with the same approvals and you shouldnt notice any difference.

I should have the 5W-30 VOA by next Monday. VI on the 5w-20 isn't that impressive, it's pretty thin at temperature as well. It's probably a good thing I got the 5W-30 since my bottle will be going into an engine with 137k.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Looks like a "cheaper" bargain oil. Which it is. Nothing wrong with it.

VOA's don't tell us much IMO. They are just for generally making sure and oil is fit for use as well as baselines. Many oils that look weak in VOAs are some of the better performers in UOAs. VWB and VSP come to mind..

Run a UOA on your second consecutive oil change to get the full story!

Thanks for posting!

You get what you pay for and this oil is only good for a short OCI, as it only has GTX levels of detergents and just a token amount of Moly. The fact it has no Boron will probably result in more upper cylinder wear, particularly as it is a low ash (Not much Zinc/Phosphorus) oil.

A VOA is very useful in comparing oils, for example the 2000 ppm of Calcium does not compare well with the 3000 in M1 or 4000 in Amsoil. Detergent content is very important in deciding how long an OCI an oil is good for. It is also very useful for analysis of a subsequent UOA, as are the average figures Blackstone Lab provides for most reports.

Last edited:
VOA's are useless for comparing oils. There are too many additive packages that hide ingredients that aren't tested. All I care about is "does this oil use sodium or not?"

This oil meets API SN. Good enough. Meeting Dexos1 is a bonus.

Originally Posted By: HappyLittlePony
VOA's are useless for comparing oils. There are too many additive packages that hide ingredients that aren't tested. All I care about is "does this oil use sodium or not?"

This oil meets API SN. Good enough. Meeting Dexos1 is a bonus.

Not true as all of the detergents and anti wear additives used by the major brand oil companies are listed.
It's the base stock type that you can't figure out.

I check the following key elements in a VOA:
Anti wear:
Moly, Boron, Zinc and Titanium.
Detergents:
Calcium, Magnesium and Sodium (I don't like Na as it confuses the UOA results as regards anti freeze contamination and is only used in budget oils).

Some companies talk about secret undetectable additives, but I think you will find they don't exist in anti wear or detergent terms. VI additives are about the only ones not visible, although you don't need to know about them.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Sodium in motor oil at all. There are also additives we CANNOT see in a VOA for your info. I would read some of Molakules links btw

Just picked up a 2011 Ford Fusion SE with the 2.5 engine (76,000 miles). Will be running the HK Syn 5w-20 ($9.99 for 5 quarts) and whatever $3 filters I can find, on a 5,000 mile (3 month) interval.

Seriously considering buying a dozen of the Fram Pro oil filters from Rock Auto, for $1.54 each (this is a regular price, not a closeout).

Car will be driven around 20,000 miles per year, mostly on the highway and interstate.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Just picked up a 2011 Ford Fusion SE with the 2.5 engine (76,000 miles). Will be running the HK Syn 5w-20 ($9.99 for 5 quarts) and whatever $3 filters I can find, on a 5,000 mile (3 month) interval.

Seriously considering buying a dozen of the Fram Pro oil filters from Rock Auto, for $1.54 each (this is a regular price, not a closeout).

Car will be driven around 20,000 miles per year, mostly on the highway and interstate.

At 20K a year of "mostly on the highway and interstate" driving....I think 3 OCIs annually (approx. 6600 mile OCI) should work fine on HK FS oil. The 2.5 has a 5.7 qt. capacity which should make this a walk in the park for this Citgo sourced synthetic. The dexos license # are exactly the same for HK synthetics and Citgo synthetics so I'd assume the oils are identical.

Originally Posted By: pbm
At 20K a year of "mostly on the highway and interstate" driving....I think 3 OCIs annually (approx. 6600 mile OCI) should work fine on HK FS oil. The 2.5 has a 5.7 qt. capacity which should make this a walk in the park for this Citgo sourced synthetic. The dexos license # are exactly the same for HK synthetics and Citgo synthetics so I'd assume the oils are identical.

I picked up my first two changes worth tonight. The 5 quart jugs of HK Synthetic were down to $8.79 for a 5 quart jug ($1.76 a quart for Synthetic!), due to a 12% rebate special that RK is running right now.

With some other items at AAP, got 2 CarQuest Red filters for $2.51 each ($3.59 - 30% discount).

This is really close to a $13 full synthetic (dexos1) 6 quart oil change, with a CQ filter.

I'd probably run a 7500 mile OCI on that HK syn/CQ red combo...like I said, the large (5.7 qt.) sump should make this easily doable.

Heck, run it 10k. Fusions 2.5s are built stout... mine is at 116k now and has averaged less than 1ppm iron/1k miles since 19k total... I'm nearly 16k into an OCI (PUPPP 0W-20) and will likely only change it before 20k because of cold weather (I don't like changing oil on my back in the snow). If you're questionable, change it via the MM, which should get you almost to 10k.

Harvest King 5W-30 in my 16 year old Forester has held up just fine over the past year, no consumption; may qualify as short tripping but still doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back