Running Hotter with A/C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
No it's not.

What's considered too hot ? I'd be panicking if my Buick's water temp was 230F.

Some say over 240 is cause for concern and others say 250. In any case a 50/50 mix doesn't boil until 265. The hotter the coolant becomes, the more easily the system can dissipate heat so it gets harder for the cooling system temp to climb. Unless there is some sort of component failure I wouldn't be concerned with the current operating conditions.

Some say over 240 is cause for concern and others say 250.

Does that pertain to the Jeep 4.0L, or is that for all engines ?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
How many rows does your current radiator have?

The OE has 2.
I'm not sure

Finding that out would be my next step.

If you spend enough money, the 3-row aluminum radiator comes with 3 electric fans.
grin.gif

s-l1000.jpg

Finding that out would be my next step.

If you spend enough money, the 3-row aluminum radiator comes with 3 electric fans.
grin.gif

s-l1000.jpg

Sorry Merk, those are anywhere from at least $500 to over $1,000
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Sorry Merk, those are anywhere from at least $500 to over $1,000
frown.gif

Don't worry I understand. No sense in buying one until after the engine melts.
grin2.gif

So Nick, are the guys saying no worries PMing you their CC numbers so you can pay for a tow out when it melts down out past Back of Beyond??

195 is OE thermostat, NAPA has 180 and 160 also. Might try the 180?

Some say over 240 is cause for concern and others say 250.

Does that pertain to the Jeep 4.0L, or is that for all engines ?

LOL I drove my old Cherokee nearly 90 miles round trip to work and back for a week with a stuck thermostat. The temp gauge was pegged, but I thought the sending unit had gone bad. I didn't think it was really running hot so I kept driving it. I replaced the sending unit and realized that it really was running hot. That old 4.0 didn't seem to care. I always knew when it was time to top off the oil when it would start to knock under heavy acceleration when the oil would run to the back of the pan.

Nick, I found one on ebay for $385 shipped.
55.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-CHEROKEE-XJ...T-/161039392357
That's just the fans, $471 with the radiator
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
So Nick, are the guys saying no worries PMing you their CC numbers so you can pay for a tow out when it melts down out past Back of Beyond??

195 is OE thermostat, NAPA has 180 and 160 also. Might try the 180?
Yeah I was thinking of a lower thermostat. Might try that this weekend and get a temperature measurement. Then if that doesn't do much try the water wetter.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
That's just the fans, $471 with the radiator
crazy2.gif

[censored], I thought I had the situation remedied.
frown.gif

I think we should start a fund raiser. I'd really like to see that radiator kit in Nick's Jeep.
smile.gif

crackmeup2.gif

You crack me up Merk.

I've got a high flow 180 degree thermostat in it now, just waiting for the RTV to dry before I drive it

Took it for a drive today, not very hot, only 100 degrees out.

Jeep was 200-205 on the freeway. After a long drive I let it idle with the a/c on and after 15 minutes it was just under 220.

The lower temp thermostat has seemed to help a little bit, but I will drive it next Tuesday as another test. If it isn't much better I might try Water Wetter.

It wouldn't hurt anything for him to try it temporarily. It could help him figure out if there are any other problems.

I doubt a low temp thermostat will do anything, that will simply control the minimum temp.

If you tested everything and everything seems in spec, IMO, you have 2 choices. 1) live with it, or 2, get a bigger radiator! Obviously for whatever reason, your radiator can't cope with high ambient temps with the A/C on. Who knows why other similar Jeeps don't have this issue.

Did you replace the radiator cap???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back