Foam Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna order the filter. Will see for myself. A part number has been found that will fit my vehicle.

I spoke to 4x4 owners down here that go off roading on a regular basis, they have used K&N, Uni and OEM paper filters.

They said the K&N filters were the worst. Dust was found in behind the intake.

The Uni requires periodic cleaning with mineral turpentine and then re-oiling.

Paper filter was the easiest, you put it in, you take it out and replace.

However, he found that the uni actually left his 4x4 clean behind the intake while the paper filter to some degree allowed stuff to go through (we are talking very minimum here in an extreme dusty condition, not the street, so probably negligible on the road)

In an extreme dusty condition like off roading... he found the uni to filter better than the paper but it comes with the hassle of having to clean/dry/re-oil/rinse and then install compare to paper. So if that hassle is worth it for an environment that is not dirt/off road, get it, if not... (which in reality it isn't) the paper is much easier to use... however, at the cost of $55 per paper element vs $110 for a uni... the hassle of cleaning will repay itself in saving on $. (Of course you then have to offset how long it takes and what your hour is worth if that is even worth it)

So going a Uni was advised to have a pair so I can put one in while other is drying after being cleaned. Very beneficial when off-roading touring the country as they are reusable.

So my own conclusion - If 15-20min clean up isn't worth it to you... paper on street is just as good as a Uni foam on the street.

If you want to save some $ and filter 'just as good' on the street, and you don't mind cleaning, then Uni is the way to go.

If you are gonna go extreme dusty conditions, then it is handy having a cleanable filter that will filter even better in that environment than a paper.

So I will test for myself, but sounds good from everything I could find including independent laboratory testing down here which pointed out the UNI was actually a better filtering media than the OEM.

Last edited:
I suspect that some of the problem with K&N is over maintenance. You're not supposed to touch them for 50k miles and the more they load up the better they filter. Around here 50k means at least 100k. I read about people washing them every oil change. This damages the media letting bigger and bigger stuff through.

I'm testing a K&N right now. Another 5k miles and I'll have a look at the intake and see how it's doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back