Replacing Battery Due To Age--What To Do With Core

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: maximus
What was the out the door price on the new battery?

Right around $130 for NAPA The Legend 51R. Online rebate for $15 makes $115.

Side note: the first battery he brought out had a 12/16 date code and was covered in dust. The voltage was 12.3-12.4VDC. I'm sure his bringing an old battery out was purely luck of the draw...

Had three offers within the first few minutes on the company forum. Who knew a battery that works just fine would sell so quickly for five bucks...

First guy to respond just bought a Civic that needs a battery. Seems like a win-win

Still good, just leave it alone and replace it when a cell is short. If you feel like it is a waste to return the core it is not worth replacing.

Just got $18 for a core at Sam's.. Never thought much about it guess that's pretty good! That battery was dead at 5 years and 6 months though.

Unlike Craigslist my company's intranet classified forum is usually pretty reliable, especially when it comes to bargains. Well, one guy flaked. The second guy emailsbin ALL CAPS and doesn't own a cell phone. When he mentioned he would be in my area, which made pickup sound very convenient to both of us, that meant that he was mowing his kid's lawn some time between 1700 and dark. If I wanted, I could bring the battery to him. Granted, the place is only a few blocks away, but really?

I think I'll either move on to the 3rd guy or trade the stupid thing in. My ideas to help someone out who needed a cheap, relatively reliable battery were possibly naively conceived.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Still good, just leave it alone and replace it when a cell is short. If you feel like it is a waste to return the core it is not worth replacing.

I appreciate your posts and advice, but the battery swap is done. I'd keep the current battery going as long as possible, were it to remain in my care. I track these things. I check the battery out and hookup the maintainer once a month or so. My sister-in-law may not. Seriously, besides us, who could give two hoots about things like this like we do?

There are a bunch of things that I haven't had issues with that could go wrong on a car with 130k miles that might cost them some money in the near-term. Changing the battery is a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back